Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 Accord DX - Need new motor - A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Default 99 Accord DX - Need new motor - A few questions

I have looked around before posting, and haven't exactly been successful in my search. So I decided to post.

I have had loads of issues with my accord, come to find out during the head gasket work that the block was actually warped. I'm done putting any more money into this motor. So I went to Hmotorsonline.com. I've heard they have one of the best reputations for JDM motors. And low and behold they have a stock of F23A1 motors. The problem is the motor in my car is the F23A5 (135HP non-vtec).

My question is....what do I need to make this motor work in my car? New ECU? New Harness? This car HAS to be able to be legal and pass smog normally. I'll be moving out of state soon where I'll not know anyone who can do "favors".

So, all of the above is my major concern. Now on to the more far fetched idea.....

Someone told me that I could also use an H23A DOHC Bluetop Vtec. Anyone know any truth to that? This motor would have come out of the accord sport wagon sold overseas.

Thanks for any input/help.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Someone may be able to provide guidance, but we've seen problems when motors are mismatched w/ engine harness and ECM. Matching motor exactly is best Rx for reducing problems.

Have you checked car-part.com and looked for matching engines close to your zip code. Cost of shipment is significant.

In past I purchased a used engine (dodge ram v8) locally, and spotted them w/ car-part, called to verify it was available, asked for VIN number of donor vehicle, and went by to inspect conditions of storage and engine appearance. I used carfax to investigate vehicle history/mileage and compare to offered information. I also noted how engines were stored; outside inside wrecked car or inside on storage pallet. I was happy w/ price and performance of engine I eventually purchased.

good luck

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

hmotorsonline.com is legit. You could put the F23a1 in, its just the smog I am worried about as I really know nothing about that.

The H23a will be a lot more work, and will produce a lot more emissions so I wouldn't go that route.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
hmotorsonline.com is legit. You could put the F23a1 in, its just the smog I am worried about as I really know nothing about that.

The H23a will be a lot more work, and will produce a lot more emissions so I wouldn't go that route.
Okay fine, F23A1 it is.

About 5 years ago, you posted in this thread agreeing that F23A1 ecu and wiring up the vtec would work for the guy's head swap.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...version-22347/

I'm assuming that's all I would with the complete swap as well?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Someone may be able to provide guidance, but we've seen problems when motors are mismatched w/ engine harness and ECM. Matching motor exactly is best Rx for reducing problems.

Have you checked car-part.com and looked for matching engines close to your zip code. Cost of shipment is significant.

In past I purchased a used engine (dodge ram v8) locally, and spotted them w/ car-part, called to verify it was available, asked for VIN number of donor vehicle, and went by to inspect conditions of storage and engine appearance. I used carfax to investigate vehicle history/mileage and compare to offered information. I also noted how engines were stored; outside inside wrecked car or inside on storage pallet. I was happy w/ price and performance of engine I eventually purchased.

good luck
The A5 motor is almost twice the cost with more than double the miles. I knew the suggestion of the H23 was a long shot, and I really don't want to be a modder. F23A1 is just fine, nearly the same engine, if it can work with minimal effort (aside from the swap itself).