Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ABS pump question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Default ABS pump question

I have the infamous ABS light on my 95 Accord EX. Its been on for about a year. Modulator used to attempt pressurization and then the light would kick on within a minute. I believe it had a small leak because I needed to add fluid every couple of months. The ABS light would go out for a while...until the fluid got low. Finally it stopped working all together (no pressurizing). Now the ABS light always turns on within a minute of driving and i dont have ABS. I've checked fuses, fluid, etc.

Im 95% sure it's the infamous ABS modulator/pump/seal problem. I havent been too concerned with it but it's kind of nice to have ABS during slippery Michigan winters. I've kept an eye open at possibly finding a used unit on ebay or junk yard. A new modulator is $1000+ dollars.

Well...the other day i was at my local junk yard exchanging a defective switch for a new power antenna out of a 94 or 95 accord similar to mine. The replacement power antenna worked just fine. The car had alot of good parts still on it ...with the exception of the engine. I noticed that the modulator was still on the car and somewhat covered from the elements (with the hood down). It appeared to be in good shape.

Question: They quoted a price of $100 with a money back warranty for the used pump. The cap is still on the reseviour and there appears to be brake fluid in there. Is this a good price or shall i offer alot less? Also, how difficult is it to install this part? Is it simply the bolts holding it in place plus flare wrenches for the brake lines? I've heard that this part is usually under pressure. Can i remove the brake lines from the pump without messing things up or losing pressure?

Would i be better off buying the used part, going to a brake shop and taking a bite on labor or is it simple enough to attempt the repair myself. Ive done brake pads, alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps,and other minor repairs on different cars over the years. Ive never replaced a modulator.

Any advise is appreciated. I need to save money since im a proud daddy to twin infants