Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

AutoTrans Replacement ['97 VTEC] Possible Donor Vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Default AutoTrans Replacement ['97 VTEC] Possible Donor Vehicles?

I've got a 1997 Accord Wagon EX, VTEC 4cyl stock engine and my transmission is dying. I'm looking to swap in a junkyard tranny or pulling from a wrecked Craigslist car. I'm not looking to change up performance right now unless I find a crazy deal.

I am aiming for the widest possible selection in replacement options. I know the car is OBD2, so I am guessing that I really need to stick with '96 and later cars to get all the sensors I need? I believe that Accords, Preludes and Odysseys use the same automatic transmission, are those valid options for doing the replacement I need? What are the advantages/disadvantages of putting in a Prelude or Odyssey tranny [if it's even possible w/o modifications]?

My last question is what years have transmissions that will swap straight in? Did the 98-00 Accords keep the same transmission as the 97? Or is that the last year...

Thanks in advance for your time helping my research in this -

oh and if someone is selling a tranny in/near DFW this month I am interested...

Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I suspect you are corrrect that only 96-97 year autos will work.

I used car-part.com to see donor vehicles for your vehicle and found only 96-97's were donors. Plenty of stock. SW is compatible.

You could check Majestic Honda and other OEM parts providers to confirm same part number for both years.

You could also use ebays parts search, but I'm a bit less confident in that than the car-part.com search.

good luck

Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the confirmation! I checked the car-parts.com site before posting after seeing your link on another topic and came to the same conclusion.

I believe I'll limit my search to 96-97 Accord then, just to keep it simple. Definitely appreciate the reply -