Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Battery/alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
jewlow5
Unregistered
Default RE: Battery/alternator issue

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Until you have the battery tested there's no way to know.
Have the battery AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM tested. From reading this thread, it's still possible for the alternator to be at fault. (Although itsounds like a bad battery.) The place where you got the battery can also test your charging system.

You can also check for electrical loads that don't turn off.ButI thinkyour battery goes dead too fast for this to be caused by your trunk light staying on.

If you have a multi-meter & wanna learn, you can do a reasonable job of testing this yourself. The testing is easy, the trick is interpreting what you measure...

Ill have to give that a try. I get absolutely no electrical power unless its jumped...then it just fades quickly when I try to start the car without a jump later. So i guess my next plan is to take it back to sears to have them check both out. If it is infact the charge system what kind of replacement cost am I looking at?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:24 PM

sounds like a classic case of battery drain. Look for a short. Something is draining your battery while it sits. If you can jump the car, let it charge then disconnect the battery overnight, try to start it the next day, if it fires right up you have an open circuit (like lights on) drawing down the charge.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
jewlow5
Unregistered

thanks for all the help. im gonna try a bunch of these suggestions out this weekend...Ill update

Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Some placeswill check it (battery & charging system) for free. If so, that's the thing to do. Especially since the battery is only 2 months old. Warranty!!

If you disconnect the battery & it still drains itself, then you'll knowFOR SUREit's a bad battery. (That's what it sounds like.)

If it turns out to be the charging system, there's different possibilities. Starting from dirty corroded cables, toa worn-out brush pack in the alternator (sorta cheap), to an entire new alternator. I'd suggest getting Sears diagnosis & then coming back here for advice.

Are you considering doing work yourself? Let us know that so we can either describe what to do or give advice about what to say to your mechanic.

IfSearswon't do the checking for free,would you want to check it out yourself? Do you have a multi-meter? Know how to do electrical measurements?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 PM
jewlow5
Unregistered

Well, I got it jumped this morning, and its disconnected right now. My next step is to take it to sears to see whats up if I doesnt start in a few hours. I dont think its the charging system (warning light isnt on). Im just hoping its not an entirely new alternator, cant really afford it right now and I need the car to get working asap. Depending on the amount of work, I would like to do it myself...as long as its nothing too extensive i.e replacing the alternator myself. (even though I dont know what that entails)

Ill update after I give it another try when I connect the battery later. (cross your fingers that i get no power, cuz then that means bad battery!!)

Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
jewlow5
Unregistered

Alright, update time.

So I disconnected the battery yesterday and let it sit overnight. I just got back inside from trying to start it, and this is what happened when I checked on it this morning....

I went out to the car, reconnected it, made sure everything was clean and on securely, got in my car and turned the car on ( did not try to start it right away) the dash lights came on, but when I tried to start it, power quickly drained...the inside light was dim and within about 10 minutes of letting the car sit the dash lights became nearly completely off, very hard to see that they were lit...

so im thinkin just a bad battery... am I correct??

thanks for all the help!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM

probably. at this point I would take it back where you bought it and have it tested. Bad batteries from the factory are not that rare.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

first off load test the system BEFORE you do anything.

That will tell you where the problem is......

Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you are going round and round asnd getting nowhere.....

have the battery properly CHARGED and tested .. also have the CHARGING SYSTEM properly tested.. and make sure that they test for electrical drain..
DO ALL THESE AND LET US KNOW before you seek more advices

Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Agreed. You've asked for advice, taken none, and continue to ask the same questions over and over. Heed the advice and tell us how it worked out or buy some new shoes for walking.

Quick Reply: Battery/alternator issue