Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Default Battery light

Ok, So I ordered some new heads for my 92 Accord, Going to do that this weekend. So in prep I replaced the cylinder cover gasket, since it was leaking. after I did that I used engine cleaner to clean the oil off the motor and engine bay area...

I have replaced my belts about 3 months ago and I have a bad crank pulley so I have to replace the belts about every 12 months. NEXT my alternator makes a high pitch noise, mostly when its wet and humid out.

Now after using the engine cleaner the alternator still makes the noise(no biggy) but now my battery light is on and when the alt. turns on (makes noise) the light turns off, then noise stops and light turns back on. It does this the whole time I was driving. I though it was cause I got water on it and I was just not liking me! but now I dont know. should I just give up and replace the alternator? or are there any cheap easy selutions that any one knows for this problem?

thanks
P.S. hope I covered all the bases!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Default upDate

OK so, same problem light on, light off - noise on, noise off - light on... so on...

Anywas I took it to Advanced and we tested it and it said that the Alt is bad and I need to buy a new one then we went inside and looked up prices. Then we found that it could be one of two parts the ECU or ELD (did not test for this yet). So I drove home and then around town, No problem with dimming lights or power.

TEST RESULTS

*battery test*

GOOD BATTERY
Volt 12.46

*starter test*

cranking normal
Volts 11.17

*charging system*

Would not test, it says "check belts<Fine, Connections<fine, Grounds<fine, Service Alternator if connections are ok"

*drain test* (nothing running- no fan Nothing)

1.18A
"investigate power drains that could affect battery life and performance"

When I gone home I noticed that when I hit the brakes the light turns off! then if i rev over 1000 RPM's it turns on or if I let off the brake. WTF!!! HELP ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT!!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM

No help yet I see... So this morning went to start the car and it barely turned over after about 10 sec with it trying it turned over and ran fine. I let it run for a few min turned if off then turned it back on STARTED up great. So there is something draining my battery! I have no lights on, radio face plate was put on so there was not LED blinking, every thing was turned off!!! anyone have any idea!!