Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

a/c eliminator kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Default RE: a/c eliminator kit

Actually, I was contemplating the same thing. Since my A/C wont hold a charge longer than 2 weeks. I considered removing the pump and junk for a possible small power gain and weight reduction. I havent really seen anyone talking about doing this, but it makes sense, in my head, that it would give some power back to the engine by simply not having to turn the pump.
Am I wrong here?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Is it possible that a car without AC would have a different idler pulley? How exactly would it hit the timing cover? Maybe not because of misalignment but because it comes off the crank pulley at a much different slope?

Brew...
When the compressor clutchis not engaged, the pulley has very little drag. Try spinning it next time you take off the belt. The pulley has some momentum, but you're not spinning the actual compressor. OTOH, the entire system would save some weight since it's useless right now.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Is it possible that a car without AC would have a different idler pulley? How exactly would it hit the timing cover? Maybe not because of misalignment but because it comes off the crank pulley at a much different slope?
His particular year does not have an idler pulley , belt is adjusted at alternator and cannot be misaligned because it is the same belt that runs the alternator , unless of course the crank pulley is coming apart .
as for the belt to hit the cover could be a couple of reasons
# 1 crank pulley coming apart
# 2 oil got in the cover and it is distorted
# 3 little rubber holder at the center , at the t-belt adjuster nut is missing thus pushing lower cover outward hitting the belt