Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Smile can anyone help?

hi guys, new member needing help!

my power steering cooling pipe has a hole in it and is leaking power steering fluid.

i went to Honda and there asking £141 for the part and trying to charge me £77 an hour for labour!! and saying it takes 2 hours.

wondering if anyone can help me get this part for cheaper as i could fit it myself or have an independent garage do it for me.

thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A good welding shop should be able to make a spot repair (soldering, brazing or splicing in a new section), if the problem.

This may not be possible of external corrosion has generally damaged the entire part.

Have you searched salvage yards for a replacement? Probably same part from many Accords and perhaps other Honda/Acura models.

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Default honda accord

yeah ive had a look around salvage/scrap yards, nothing as yet.

welding isnt an option as someone tried to use GunGum to cover the hole and as a result made it worse.

i saw a part on gumtree, howeve, it was for the 2002 2.2 diesel accord. do you think this would fit my car?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails can anyone help?-img_20141104_091856.jpg  
Old 12-02-2014, 01:25 PM

How big is the hole? Wear hole or corrosion??What year/trim Accord?

PS cooling loop is low pressure and moderate temps, so a layered J&B epoxy repair w/ ripstop nylon wrapped around and over the hole may work. First deposit a layer of j&b, then wrap w/ ripstop nylon (old umbreall is good source), the a final layer of J&B. For best results, remove the part, clean, and roughen w/ sandpaper before starting.

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Default honda accord

its a 2000 honda accord W reg (uk) 6th gen, 1.8i v-tec SE

the last person had already tried that. just thought a complete working part would be better and save time.

the whole part is corroded. it's the flow pipe that goes round the front of the car, just behind the front bumper.

thanks again

Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Your options are new part, used part, or perhaps fabricate a part from steel tube. Used part has to be low cost option. Part should be same for all 98-02 Accords w/ 4-cyl. I saw that V6 Accord appears to have a different part.

You could temporarily bypass the cooling loop by splicing ends of rubber hoses together while waiting for a part. I wouldn't operate for an extended period and monitor PS fluid for signs of overheating. Heat load can't be much if a short loop of steel tube dissappated enough heat for worst case condition.

I have found that I had to go to the salvage yard to get help. Phone conversation always seem to fail when you are discussing an inexpensive part.

Ebay is an option in US, perhaps UK as well?

good luck

Old 12-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Default Honda Accord 1.8i V-TEC SE

i'll get it fabricated, never thought of that. i actually know a guy that has his own fabrication business.

Thanks a lot for your help.

my car is 14 years old and this is the only thing wrong with her. she'll be running sweet in no time!!

thanks again J.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Your Swindon-built car is different from the USA Accord, but that cooling loop should still be easy enough to make from some tubing. Cost saving is probably more than enough to buy a flaring kit so you can make the bubble-flare ends where the rubber hose is connected.

Try to use some kind of hose clamps in the same locations as the mounting brackets, so the tube doesn't get flapping around & break.