Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Can I switch to synthetic now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Default Can I switch to synthetic now?

hey all, I just had all this replaced.
BAL SHAFT SEAL
BAL SHAFT SEAL RETAINER
OIL DRIVE GEAR SEAL
FRONT MAIN (CRANK) SEAL
CAM SEAL
VALVE COVER GASKET
SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS X 4
TIMING BELT
BALANCE SHAFT BELT
WATER PUMP
NEW RADIATOR
Is this enough stuff to take synthetic or will some other seals leak? I was thinking of using some Mobile 1 full synthetic.
PS: Sorry for the all caps, I copied and pasted from a document I created earlier. Any responce is appreciated.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Can I switch to synthetic now?

I don't think you'll have any problems. I switched to the Mobil 1 synthetic on my 94 Civic when I got it and never had any problems, in fact I've never personally run into an issue with a honda and switching to synthetic. However, I have been told that once you go to a synthetic oil don't ever switch back... not sure why though so that may just be a nasty rumor...The biggest issue with synthetic and leaks seems to be mainly on older domestic vehicles and big block engines....

Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM

What are some of the pro's and con's of synthetic? How much will it improve my performance if any, Like that episode of Trucks with Royal Purple oil?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 PM

OK.... switching to regular oil,after using synthetic is OK ,YES OK....any body that tells you that its not OK ..they are simply want you to buy the more expensive synthetic oil,or they don`t know what they are talking about!!!!!! [/align]then,using synthetic oil on a high millage car is a NO,NO,why...synthetic oil is slippery and slick ,that's why your high millage car needs just normal oil .[/align]so what you need to pay more attention on is CHANGING YOUR OIL REGULARLY ,AND MAKE SURE TO CHANG THE OIL FILTER AS WILL....and if you take your car to an oil change place ,make sure that you are watching ,and ask to see the old filter.....why I work at a change oil place ,and trust me,I will never let those people change oil on my car
[/align]

Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well, i use Mobil 1 Synthetic but last time i didn't had the $ for it and had to go for the mobil 1 7000miles. still a synthetis blend. there's no problem w/ doing so.... only old cars may leak w/ synthetic...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

On a high mileage car you should stick to regualr oil, but if you go to synthetic it is recommended that you continue with synthetic and not switch back to regular oil like the person in the previous post said was false. Why because if you switch back to regular from synthetic on a car with very old seals on the motor your running a high risk of causing seal leakage. If the car was run for a good part of its life on regular oil just stick with regular and when the motor begins to get older with more mileage just change the oil more often.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

use regular dino oil in the S and synthetic in the scooter (due to 8K+ rpms and a lot of near WOT throttle riding) In my car I can easily go 7K on regular dino oil (thank's to a SOS lab here at work :P) I do mostly freeway driving Scooter goes every 2K on oil change

Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 AM

I am pro synthetic but in this case I would stick with a good dino oil. It may or may not cause seepage but I don't feel it's worth the risk. You won't feel or notice any difference if you do decide to switch.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:36 PM

well, I did it. 173k and i switched to synthetic. Nothing leaks out of the ordinary. just got a butload of seals and gaskets replaced as of preventitive maintence so almost nothing leaks. If I do find a leak, i'll just take it to my mechanic to diagnose it and fix it. So far so good. I'm using Mobile 1 Extended Performance with Mobile 1 oil filter. My only issue with my car right now is that the mechanic overtightened my timing belt or balance shaft belt when he replaced it last week. It now makes a whining noise. I'm going up there next tuesday to fix it. I'll just get pissed if he gives me my car back and says "nothing was wrong with it."