General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch to Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Default Switch to Synthetic Oil?

I have a 2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl with 212,000 miles on it. No problems at all, just normal maintenance. Any problem switching to synthetic motor oil? Good idea? Thanks for you suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Switch to Synthetic Oil?-honda200k01-0181.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Why mess with a good thing? The K-engine doesn't abuse the oil, overheating the oil like a turbo, or anything else.

I don't use synthetic oil in my non-turbo cars, because the longer oil-change intervals don't really pay off against the higher-priced oil. (Someday that will probably change as petroleum gets more expensive.)

I use synthetic in the turbos (2001 & 2005 Saabs) because the higher temperatures in the turbo spool contribute to sludge formation.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
craddock01
Unregistered

I've got a 1990 accord 230,000 been using Wal-Mart SuperTech Full Synthetic for a couple of years. $15.00 for 5 Quart Bottle.Good Stuff. Would like to add also this oil does not claim to be extended change,But at that price I like it,5k to 6k at drain and oil will not be broke down like Nonsynthetic.

Last edited by craddock01; 04-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Default Sounds good to me!!

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Why mess with a good thing? The K-engine doesn't abuse the oil, overheating the oil like a turbo, or anything else.

I don't use synthetic oil in my non-turbo cars, because the longer oil-change intervals don't really pay off against the higher-priced oil. (Someday that will probably change as petroleum gets more expensive.)

I use synthetic in the turbos (2001 & 2005 Saabs) because the higher temperatures in the turbo spool contribute to sludge formation.
I thought so to. I do the oil changes at 3-4000 and enjoy keeping an eye on things. And like you said, "Why mess with a good thing?" I keep having friends say "why don't you run synthetic, blah, blah, blah." Like I'm abusing my car. And I try my best to take care of it. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I jut switched to synthetic oil in my Accord last night. What I've read, and heard from others, the oil has cleaning properties that will d-gunk the inside of the engine without having to add additives to the the engine in hopes of achieving the same outcome. Over time, using synthetic oil you should see a difference on your oil changes. You'll notice that the oil comes out cleaner than it would with standard oil and yes, you can wait longer between changes, but, why? Change it still on your normal intervals and at least you know it hasn't broken down like the standard oil would. Oil break down = engine wear. I would much rather the oil be about as clean and useful coming out of the engine as it was going in.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Synthetic breaks down too, otherwise you wouldn't have to change it ever. It breaks down a lot slower than dino oil.

I change my Mobil1 at 5k miles and I can still see through it usually.

Changing synthetic earlier than you need to is just draining your pocket. It will provide decent protection past 7,500 miles.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Very true that synthetic breaks down. Personally I would rather be on the safe side and change every 3-4 G and drain clean synthetic than change every 3-4 G and drain filthy broken down standard oil. Just a personal preference now. And yes, it's a little more loot but if you do it yourself and not go to Jiffy lube to have them do it, it's a lot cheaper and you know it's done right with the brand of your choosing.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Default Now I am leaning the other way!!!

Originally Posted by mejim707
Very true that synthetic breaks down. Personally I would rather be on the safe side and change every 3-4 G and drain clean synthetic than change every 3-4 G and drain filthy broken down standard oil. Just a personal preference now. And yes, it's a little more loot but if you do it yourself and not go to Jiffy lube to have them do it, it's a lot cheaper and you know it's done right with the brand of your choosing.
I don't mind the esxpense as long as I think I am getting something. Generally speaking, does it matter if you switch after using it for 212K miles? Would if I decided to switch back after a few changes? Like I said, it runs great and always has. Like JimB says, "If it ain't broke...". Thanks for the inputs.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM

I have read that folks who switched to syn after having lots of miles already on the engine have developed leaks. Apparently the molecules of syn oil are universally small compared to dino oil which vary (somewhat) in size. Maybe others here in the forum can chime in on this, but this is what I have heard.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Supper Moderator

For the price I use mobil 1 clean 5000 its cheep and a good name brand oil. It cost me around $15 w/ filter a oil change but I also change it ever 2-3k miles dew to high millage. They guarantee you dont have to change the oil for 5k miles

Quick Reply: Switch to Synthetic Oil?