Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Default Coolant Leak

Hello. Thanks for reading my post. So, about 2 weeks ago, a family member stated that they smelled coolant in my garage where my 2007 Honda Accord was parked. I shrugged it off because I didn't smell anything. Last week on my way home from work, my heat wasn't blowing hot air, but then resolved itself before I got home...so, cool. Two mornings later, I am sitting in my car idling and the thermostat is reading hot. I turned it off, let it cool down and then booked it home keeping a close eye on the thermostat to ensure it didn't get too hot. Added coolant mix. Seemed fine. Checked the coolant a day later, noticed it was low and added more, as well as noticing the rad cap was broken. I replaced that today hoping it would be the fix. This evening I went to check it out and observed a drip from just in front of the catalytic converter. Please, suggestions would help. Any chance that this is a hose issue or is this my personal nightmare as funds are low and I am no mechanic?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since you don't repair yourself, you need help to find the fault and remedy.

Problem suggests a pressurized leak test is necessary to locate leak, leading to repair.

good luck

Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Since you don't repair yourself, you need help to find the fault and remedy.

Problem suggests a pressurized leak test is necessary to locate leak, leading to repair.

good luck
Thanks for your response. It actually turned out to be the heater control valve with a pretty visible leak. A $40 part and a gallon of antifreeze later and I'm back in business. Thanks!