General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant leak head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
shep03
Unregistered
Default Coolant leak head gasket?

I have a 1995 Accord with a large coolant leak at the back of the engine above the trans. I can’t see where it originates from but it looks like the head gasket.Coolant sprays on the sensor in the head in that area and the check engine light flashes on and off. There is no coolant in the oil or white smoke from the exhaust.
Is there anything else that fails in that area?

I don’t have an adapter for my coolant pressure checker for the Honda. If it is the head gasket I could use some help on finding the information on changing the timing belt and related parts. I use to be foreign car mechanic a decade ago so I just need to see the procedure. I have done a search on this forum and didn’t find anything on the timing belt for a 1995 Accord. Is it worth buying the factory manual from Helm?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Coolant leak head gasket?

try the search in my signature .... I'm pretty sure that there are links to the manuals that you need, only the site's search doesn't work. Mr.Brandon Lutz is responsible for the google search, my hat goes off to him

Old 10-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

In the DIY section, the link called ACC 5th gen... has a link to a 94 shop manual. The shop manual is split up into chapter at the bottom of that dhost site.

If the leak is in back of the engine, you might want to check the metal pipe that runs from the water pump to the thermostat housing. That pipe is sealed by an o-ring that might have failed. No matter what, try to find the source of the leak before removing the head and replacing the head gasket.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
shep03
Unregistered

I have downloaded a few of the manuals but I can’t find the timing belt in there. I don’t remember if there is a separate book for other than the general engine information. I will find the leak first. I may need to get an adapter for the small radiator neck. I was not aware of the O ring mentioned. It leaks after the engine warms up and doesn’t seem to have source you can see. It has been a year since it happen and has been sitting. I think the distributor was in the way of seeing the leak.
Would the 1994 shop manual have the dual cam engine I have?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

So your accord has the H22 engine (a prelude engine that is DOHC)? If so, go to the online manuals thread in the DIY and the spoonhonda site has prelude manuals. The accords only came with a SOHC engine stock.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

... The USA accords only came with a SOHC engine stock.
Fixed it for ya...

We dont know where shep is located.

Theres a couple of places for coolant to leak back there.
- tube between waterpump & thermostat?
- gasket at the T-stat itself?
- gasket between T-stat housing & head?
- several hoses back there between throttlebody, T-stat, FITV, etc...

The adapter you mention - is that for pressurizing the cooling system cold? That would be a very good plan.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
shep03
Unregistered

It is a SOHC motor. It has been awhile since I looked at it. I am now trying to locate the adapter for my pressure checker. I got one from Autozone which doesn't fit last night.