Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine miss between 1800 to 2100 rpm in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:47 AM
inspector9
Unregistered
Default engine miss between 1800 to 2100 rpm in 5th

hello to the forum.

i was wondering if anyone my know what my problem may be. i have a 94 Accord DX, my engine misses and causes my engine to vibrate during acceleration between 2000 to 3000 rpm in 4th, or between 1800 to 2100 rpm in 5th. if i don,t accelerate and creep up between these rpms, the missing and vibration are not felt as bad. once i'm past those rpm ranges vibration and missfire is very faint.
i also feel the engine takes to long to achieve power or really climb speed. i have replaced the fuel filters, i just kon't know how to really test the fuel injectors without going through major surgery. i do have a haynes manual which really isn't very useful for this sort of trouble shooting. Does anyone have any insight, all is appreciated.............[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
timothynortondc
Unregistered
Default RE: engine miss between 1800 to 2100 rpm in 5th

inspector 9

Have you checked the egr passages to each cylinder? The tend to clog up and cause a automatic transmission to hunt for a proper gear. It will shift nonstop at highway speeds. So guessing with a manual it will feel like it is sputtering. How you can tell if your egr passages are clog--- have someone drive your car--slowly and listen to the exhaust--like up your driveway--you will here it sputtering. Everytime I hear a honda with that problem, I ask the owner if there transmission seems to hunt between overdrive and 4th---"How did you know"

or

If your handy, you have to remove the injectors and remove the chrome plate underneath. You will see the first, second and third passage clogged. Just scrape it out. Use grease on the o-ring to put the injectors in. The o-ring tends to move and cause fuel leakage. What is happening---the exhaust gasses are being recirculated to heat the engine up quicker to decrease the emissions. The passage clog with time. You kind of notice the engine becoming weaker--not much--but just a little. This is because all of the exhaust gasses are being sent to last cylinder causing it to be "dead." Why--because nasty exhaust fumes and very little oxygen to burn. Decrease vacuum, lower mpg, a transmission hunting nonstop......maybe a vibration problem because of only three cylinder working

Good Luck
94 accord
262,XXX miles

Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Hi There..
You could start out by checking your Cylinder compression and or also check out your exhaust system for a bad catalitic converter that may be obstructed..

Just a couple more suggestions here...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-05-2005, 11:48 AM
misterhassel
Unregistered

I'm having the same "issue" as inspector 9 when I get around 2000 rpm. My front end starts to vibrate, especially when I hold my speed at 2000 rpm. I also feel it around 2500 rpm, but it is more faint. However, it occurs in any gear, though I notice it most in 4th or 5th as these are the gears where I'm not accelerating as quickly, or might be holding my speed at a lower rpm. Think it could be my egr passages as well?

My mechanic inspected my motor mounts, but found no issues. It took three rides with him in the car before he finally felt the vibration. Otherwise he hasn't had time to look at it and didn't know where to start. But the problem is getting worse and much more noticeable. Guess I'll try and get it over there this week and ask him to check the egr passages, cylander compression, etc.

Thanks, and if anyone has any other suggestions/insight it would be much appreciated.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: inspector9

hello to the forum.

i was wondering if anyone my know what my problem may be. i have a 94 Accord DX, my engine misses and causes my engine to vibrate during acceleration between 2000 to 3000 rpm in 4th, or between 1800 to 2100 rpm in 5th. if i don,t accelerate and creep up between these rpms, the missing and vibration are not felt as bad. once i'm past those rpm ranges vibration and missfire is very faint.
i also feel the engine takes to long to achieve power or really climb speed. i have replaced the fuel filters, i just kon't know how to really test the fuel injectors without going through major surgery. i do have a haynes manual which really isn't very useful for this sort of trouble shooting. Does anyone have any insight, all is appreciated.............[sm=dontgetit.gif]

engine missfire would automatically pop on your check engine light - if you have it ON read the code and post it here

and check engine mounts first only then get all electrical

Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Cool 94 Accord that misses at 2000 rpm and no one knows

Hi to everyone, I have a 94 Accord Ex four cylinder automatic transmission four door. The problem appeared to be bad motor mounts, when in neutral, idling and revving the engine, it runs fine. Put the car in gear and put your foot on the brake and rev the engine and it would miss. Had new motor mounts put in and the miss is still there. I've had two very knowledgeable mechanics look at the car and neither can figure out the miss. The miss seems most apparent around 2000 rpms and it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in. When accelerating pretty fast, it runs fine and smooth, the miss is most apparent at steady rpms, like I said around 2000 rpms. A third mechanic suggested that it was egr valve, he said the 94 Accord is too old for this malfunction to show up on diagnostic equipment, so I called the second mechanic with this suggestion and he said he had swapped the egr valve from a different Accord and concluded that this wasn't the problem. Between the first and second mechanics, there have been new plugs, plug wires, new muffler etc and the car has even had a compression test, all have passed. Any suggestion on what the problem can be? Thanks, Mick N

Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the egr chamber.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...456/#post24585

Agree tha most of the time it is not the valve but the ports/chamber that get clogged.