Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Temp drops when heater is turned on. Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Default Engine Temp drops when heater is turned on. Any Ideas?

I recently purchased a '94 Accord LX to use as a work car and let me V8 truck sit at home. I am already reaping the benefits of the four cylinder but I have one problem.

When I turn on the heat the engine gets cold and no hot air comes out of the heater. If I do not turn on the heat then the engine temperature stays at normal levels.

The A/C also doesn't work but I consider this a very minor problem as I normally do not use the A/C in cars. I don't know if the two issues could be related.

Some people have told me the thermostat needs replaced but I always heard of thermostats becoming stuck closed causing the engine to overheat.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thermostats CAN stick open. I've seen threads here that seem like the T-stat would open & close, but couldn't close all the way, leading to exactly what you describe. Some aftermarket T-stats don't work too well, and a dealer T-stat isn't stupid expensive.

I'll be a good excuse to flush out the cooling system & get fresh antifreeze in there too. Unless you KNOW when it was last changed (every couple years). Engine running too cool will use more fuel...

For all we know (for all you know) the previous owner or some misguided mechanic removed the thermostat altogether.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info.
This was not a 1 owner car so I really have no clue who had their hands inside this engine.
I will replace the thermostat this weekend and certainly flush out the cooling system too.
Thanks Again

Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

You're new to Hondas??

The T-stat is back towards the firewall. Follow the LOWER radiator hose, over the transmission. The T-stat housing is sorta below the throttle body.

There should be a bleed valve back there too. Use it to remove air from the cooling system. Hondas do not like to have air pockets running around in the cooling system.