Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Feed back on performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Bob Albright
Unregistered
Default Feed back on performance chips

I own a 2008 Accord cp 4 cyl. and have recently been looking into performance chips to give it a little more juice---hopefully without affecting reliability. I found a chip called "PCD Performance Chip Stage 1". It advertises no soldering necessary and easy installation. I am looking for feedback as to whether this is a good idea or not--pros/cons and any info that would help me make up my mind to do this or not. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance !

"and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Not a good idea with Hondas. All it does is make the computer think you are driving at wide open throttle all the time dumping too much fuel.
Most of the time they do way more harm than good.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:40 PM

chips can be good if you get the right one for your car,they increase your throttle responce quite abit.you need to find a street tuned one not sports or racing.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM

^^ Name a specific "chip" that works. I have yet to see or hear of one that does anything besides screw up the ECU.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

they seem to get better hp and tq on diesel motors then gas motors. on my 7.3 diesel ford iam running a superchips i leave it on the middle setting, 90 hp and 120 tq. huge difference, i wish gas motors could do the same too. my new 08 accord with the v-6 dose ok but a little more would be nice.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 PM

If you go back about 40 years, engines were relativly primative compared to one in your modern car.
Quite simply the technology did not exist to produce lots of hp and torque from an engine that was easy to drive and start. Most factory spec motors built from day dot, right up until about the late 80s, could be made to produce more power with only simple mods.
Intake, exhaust, carb, adjust the fuel injection. Bolt on stuff that was not hard to do. Gains from 10-20% were common and easy.

Modern engines are a LOT more sophisticated. The basic concept has not changed, but the amount of work gone into reducing the compromises has.
Modern engines make a lot more power and torque, but are still easy to drive and start.
They are a more complete system, with everything from cylinder head design, intake and exhaust, to the engine managment working together far more efficiently, and at very close to optimum levels.
Basically the easy things to change, like intakes, exhausts and computers are so perfectly matched to the rest of the engine by the factory that changing them won't have any positive effect, and may have a negative one.

If you really want more hp, you need to make more radical changes to the engine. Change the cams, head, and or add some kind of forced induction.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 PM

It is not a chip it is a afc hack. It only changed the map signal. The o2 sensor will learn around it = fail. Plus if I remember rite you are running a map and maf. You need to look into hondata thy may have a reflash for that now contact them directly.

I know thy have re flashes for the other K motors. Or you have to look into stand alone ecus like aem...........Cost a lot. You are going to trust a 75$ 4 wire junk box to control your ecu?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM

if you want a good one you are looking at $600 and up and you might have to change your timing and air/fuel

Old 06-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Few more things to consider - if you're planning more mods for the engine the chip needs to come last, since it'll accomodate all.
If you're looking at a general engine tuning with engine flow improvements (air intake, exhaust system), or maybe going further with head work and a mild cam, any/all these will change the operating ranges of various engine sensors from stock. At the end you can add your chip and take it to a tuning shop for final adjustments, as far as fuel to air ratios, maybe some work on the air/fuel or ignition tables.
That's like the icing on the cake - the chip.
The reason the chip may be a dissappointment is lack of matching, since it's programmed for a specific engine and conditions, not your engine and level of mods.
Check out this nice link for more detail.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=181