Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel pump failing or what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
AMD
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fuel pump failing or what?

Alright guys, I'm new to the car scene, and just recently got my first car!

Its a Honda Accord 01 coupe V6' it has 104,xxx miles on it, timing belt was changed at 90k miles according to the seller! Well just last monday i drove it to the tire shop no problems what so ever it was riding like new. Got to the tire shop ordered new rims, and tires they said it would be done by wednesday, turns out rims were taking a while to arrive so didn't get my car till' Friday afternoon. It was sitting out in the sun, hot as hell when I got in started it up it sputtered some but started up to say the least (Drove it several times never sputtered or anything) took it literally half a mile down the street to put gas in it after fueling up went to start it up and it would not start!
It sounded as if it was about to, wasn't the battery because there wasn't any clicking all the lights would come on etc., It actually started but wouldn't idle long (maybe 5-10 seconds) it only did that twice. So I call the guys from the shop, and they send a mechanic in which he say it sounds like the fuel pump...So i get it towed to the shop, and leave it over the weekend. Well the guys call me today and say the car started and they left the car running for 30 minutes and it was fine. Go figure right? They said it was a good idea to still get the pump because sometimes this can happen, my dad thought it was a good idea as well so were getting it installed now.
Whats you guys take on this?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would have waited to diagnose more. Not that Honda fuel pumps don't go out; but, usually they don't.

It could have and still may be a Main Relay problem. Some people re-solder the joints to repair it or they replace the unit.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

This shows the location of the main relay for your car:

DIY, Replacing Main Relay (AV6) - V6 Performance.net Forums

This other site shows a general resolder repair of the joints:
Relay Repair

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM

REDBULL is rite i had the same problem with my 93 Accord an i thought it was my fuel pump also?but i logged on here an got 2 replys,1 from REDBULL an another from poorman212 an they both said to check my main relay switch under the dash board driver side.
and im happy to say they both were rite!so i spent $60 instead of $160,so my advice to you partner is do what i did?Redbulls reply to you.
thanks again Redbull i havent had a problem since infact she seem to run smoother!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
AMD
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah would have waited but with the circumstances were in its kind of hard. The mechanic place isnt much help! Yeah we wanted them to check the fuse for the relay, they said it was fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM
AMD
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for youre replies!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM
AMD
Newest Of Newbies

Well after installing the fuel pump it's up and running! I hope that was the problem, I'll also be purchasing a new relay just for GP. But this wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission would it?