Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

The good ole A/C water leak...

Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Default The good ole A/C water leak...

Ok, I just bought a 97 accord sedan LX from a private party, and maybe 2 days later im driving down the road, make a sharp left turn, and here we are.. I know my way around a car fairly well (I think so) and It only does it with the ac on... its a perfect description of what the other threads are saying but I cant find anything as to what to fix it and where to look? I haven't inspected under the dash yet (waiting for a day off) but im concerned because it keeps my floorboards moist, and also its wet on both passenger and drivers side... but any guidance on where to start? what to look for? im determined to fix this and have a sunday off work here soon

Thanks in advance

Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is likely the condensate drain outlet is blocked. Listen carefully for water sloshing about in the evaporator housing and possibly water entrained in the air flow.

How to fix? Suggest you try pushing a stiff thin rod (plastic wire tie strip, stiff wire, etc) up the rubber drain tube (lower firewall on pax side ~ 5 inches length). You will need to elevate on ramps or jackstands to access. Do not jam a very stiff wire and puncture the evaporator! Only modest force to hopefully dislodge the blockage and allow evap to drain correctly.

The above may not work. Debris is likely to remain in evap box (not flow out the drain tube) and continue to block. In that case it is necessary to discharge the AC system and remove the evaporator, open evap box and clean the internal works of debris. It's not as bad a job as it sounds, but will require recovery/recharge of AC, and 3-4 hrs of DIY effort to remove evap, clean, and reinstall.

Hopefully, you'll get lucky and debris is small and can be moved w/ pushrod.

Of course you could always do w/o AC! I never liked that option.

good luck

Old 06-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention I believe it is building up to the housing because sometimes when I turn and the water leaks down, it makes the sound of like water being thrown thru a fan blade.. if you get what im saying lol like chopping water almost

Old 06-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Me, another option.

Find the drain hose in the engine bay coming out of the pass side - should be just below and to the center of the car from where the evap canister is. From below use a "wet" shop vac to suck the "gunk" out of the tube.

I've use this on a few cars and also to clean out the house ac drain pipe.

Then if you really want to dig in. After clearing the drain, there are some "spays" that you can buy that help with odor, mildew and that. You can do some reasearch/reading on those and decide if you want to use one.

Just my two cents

Old 06-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Me, another option.

Find the drain hose in the engine bay coming out of the pass side - should be just below and to the center of the car from where the evap canister is. From below use a "wet" shop vac to suck the "gunk" out of the tube.

I've use this on a few cars and also to clean out the house ac drain pipe.

Then if you really want to dig in. After clearing the drain, there are some "spays" that you can buy that help with odor, mildew and that. You can do some reasearch/reading on those and decide if you want to use one.

Just my two cents
Thanks, so it's basically that drain hose is clogged? Makes sense! I got under there a few minutes ago before Sun went down and I took these photos of where the water is coming from, the hose was a little loose... I slid it all the way on but is still leading bad. So tomorrow I'll try to unclog hose. But these pics show exactly where's it's coming from, looks like backed up drain water I believe...
Oh.....

I don't know how to upload pics..

Old 06-05-2015, 10:40 PM

The blockage is usually right at the outlet fitting of the evaporator housing that connects to the drain hose. It's fairly small, perhaps 8-10mm ID.

PM's suggestion to use suction is a good one that should provide best chance for a cure.

good luck

Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mattselen
I don't know how to upload pics..
A few ways to do this. Some will upload them to a "host site" and then post a link to them. Or you can "attach" them from your PC, be sure to check the size of the file - there is a limit on the file size. To attach, use the "go advanced" button, then about half way down there is a button "manage attachments". You can then attach the pic's/files directly from your PC.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Ok awesome, when I get off I'm going at it. If you can see the pics, it shows where I'm exactly It's building up and leaking. And the hose inlet

Attached Thumbnails The good ole A/C water leak...-0605152013b.jpg   The good ole A/C water leak...-0605152015.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 AM

You want to leave the drain hose attached at all times to direct water to outside the firewall. Water coming out of the evap outlet nipple will drain directly on the ECU and TCU below!

good luck