Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

HELP!!!!!!! Crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Default HELP!!!!!!! Crank pulley

I need help taking off my crank pulley from my 1995 accord ex 2.2 liter!!!!! I want to know which direction it needs to go to come off? Clockwise or counter-clockwise????????? In theory it would be counter clockwise because when you torque it it has to go clockwise........but My impact can't take it off and I broke my break'r bar trying to take it off I just dont want to break the actual crank pulley stud So let me know guys!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Bolt must turn CCW to loosen, same as any other bolt.

Crankshaft pulley bolt is notoriously tight and you are not the first to run into this stone wall. There are only two options to my knowledge:

1) Get a more powerful air impact; usally a 500-700 ft-lb reverse rating is adequate to break the bolt. A good air compressor and 1/2" ID air hose may be necessary to realize full torque. Sustained hammering may be necessary. I've had at least one incident where no air impact (including a 3/4" monster impact) was up to the job, however air delivery could have been part of my problem.

2) Get a Honda Harmonic Balancer Restraint Tool. Check ebay or amazon for this restraint tool. You will need two 1/2" breaker bars. One to hold restraint tool and one to loosen the 19mm bolt. A "cheater pipe" (2-3 ft length of pipe to slip over end of breaker bar and provide additional lenght) is recommended to gain additional breakout torque to 500-800 ft-lbs. Note, cheap 1/2' breaker bars may not survive this torque. I've broken one "Harbor Freight Special" myself. Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar has survived several of these events. This has never failed to work for me, however it is a bit alarming to bow the breaker bar and cheater pipe before the bolt breaks loose w/ a loud crack.

For both cases, heating the bolt head w/ a acetylene torch will help reduce bolt head/block friction.

Check youtube for videos of this process and tips from many sources.

good luck

Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Also... get the most out of whatever impact drive you have.

Remove the plastic inner fender liner so you can get directly to that bolt.

Don't use ANY extensions or long deep sockets. Use a stubby fat impact socket to deliver all the torque that you impact can make.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Robertv34
I need help taking off my crank pulley from my 1995 accord ex 2.2 liter!!!!! I want to know which direction it needs to go to come off? Clockwise or counter-clockwise????????? In theory it would be counter clockwise because when you torque it it has to go clockwise........but My impact can't take it off and I broke my break'r bar trying to take it off I just dont want to break the actual crank pulley stud So let me know guys!!!
I have a 97 Acura CL with same engine and I am working on same project. I was successful with using a 19mm socket with two extensions (but these were heavy duty impact extensions and I had no choice because of clearance). I purchased a 60"x1" black pipe from local Home Depot for $18 and slid it over my breaker bar. DO NOT use a ratchet. It actually took little effort with that much leverage. Oh, and the key to stability is place the end of the breaker bar on a jack stand. The jack stand will hold it in place and give you torque.

And check youtube. There is a video of this.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robertv34
If you're still working on the tight crankshaft pulley bolt: Several years ago I wanted to R & R the timing belt on my son's '88 Accord 4-cyl and couldn't loosen the pulley bolt, so I drove it to a Japanese repair garage I'd done business with before and had them break it loose (for $25), and retighten a little. I drove the 3 miles home and was able to complete the T-belt service. However, I returned to the same shop recently (under new management) for the same problem on my '02 Accord 4-cyl but the new guy wouldn't do it due to liability issues (so he said).