Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help. Engine cuts off when going into drive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Help. Engine cuts off when going into drive.

Hello everyone . New to forums here. My wife owns this 2007 accord with 2.4 automatic. This rig has 210 000km on it. It's been a great car and haven't had a ton of issues on it at all. But we went for a ride yesterday to the next town over and got gas . The light came on and filled up. Soon as got back in and started the car then put the gear shifter in drive it shut off. I tried again and it did the same thing. Third time I let it run for few minutes then tried to leave again and it worked . But then went somewhere else and it happened again . Seems like an intermittent issue now. What could cause this? I was looking into neutral safety switch possibly ? Could it be a timing chain issue ? I just replaced the alternator recently and battery is fairly new. Any help I'd appreciate it. I don't know much about these hondas

Old 03-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A indication of a bad safety switch is the car not cranking but your issue could be the start of it going bad. If you are changing your oil regularly then your chain is good (supposed to be lifetime on the 2.4). Is the CEL on if so get the code read to see what it's saying. It can be many things that is causing it. Since you said it started after filling up I would start there. Fuel/air mixture. Check codes to go forward

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 03-27-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
A indication of a bad safety switch is the car not cranking but your issue could be the start of it going bad. If you are changing your oil regularly then your chain is good (supposed to be lifetime on the 2.4). Is the CEL on if so get the code read to see what it's saying. It can be many things that is causing it. Since you said it started after filling up I would start there. Fuel/air mixture. Check codes to go forward

no check engine lights . Yea it cranks no problem . But just weird how it cuts off right away soon as it's in drive. I'm wondering if it something ignition related as well. Is the neutral safety switch bad If I can start it in neutral? Because I tried and I can start in neutral and park but nothing else.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:21 PM

If it's able to start in any position it's bad or if you can only start it in neutral it's bad. It could also be the cable.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If it's able to start in any position it's bad or if you can only start it in neutral it's bad. It could also be the cable.

So if I can start the car in neutral the safety switch is bad? You should only be aloud to start it in park thats it ?

Old 03-27-2021, 02:10 PM

No if you can start it in any position it's bad. It's normal to be able to start the car in P and N

Old 03-27-2021, 02:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No if you can start it in any position it's bad. It's normal to be able to start the car in P and N
Ok that rules it out then. I am able to start it in P and N just not the others . Hmmm I'm thinking ignition related I dunno this is strange

Old 03-29-2021, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

It started right after you got fuel? Bad fuel seems like a good place to start.

The neutral safety switch prevents the starter from cranking. That doesn't sound like the problem at all, because it sounds like your starter works fine.