Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

help with upgrade

Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default help with upgrade

i've searched the forums pretty well but havent found any answers so i figured i needed to post my own thread. i need some help with serious upgrades im planning on doing. ive already got my cold air intake and headers back exhaust but now its time for a turbo kit. first of all, im planning on doing an engine rebuild, not too sure how far i should go with that though, advice? secondly, idk if a new trans is needed. not at all sure how much hp the stock can handle. or what to get if i do need a new one. sadly enough ive inherited the car as a auto 96 accord ex 140k miles btw. pushing about 170 now id guess, but definately wanna go much higher. would especially love to embarass my friend who thinks VW hatchbacks are cool

Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Supper Moderator

yes you need to do a tranny swap. For a 5speed...the h22 or h23 trans are really good for road racing and the f22 trans are good for hwy speeds. Personally I would use a h23 trans with a aftermarket LSD kit. B/c a car w/o LSD is like trying to run with one leg. As far as the engine rebuild what are your power goals and how much is your budget?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

im not sure what a lsd kit is. but id say as of now i have 2k in my pocket. doesnt seem like much but im 17 cant really have a full time job, so its good for me lol. as of power i really dont think ill have enough cash to get above 300 like some ppl, but i was hoping that after trans, rebuild, and turbo that id have somewhere from 230 to 250. i know u can get a good amount of hp out of a rebuild, but i dont know much at all about the engine so i dont even know where to begin with that thing

Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Supper Moderator

LSD = limited slip differential
Makes both of the wheels spin not just one. IF you are just shooting for 300. Just do a tranny swap and boost you engine stock. You will make around 270ish-300hp with 8-10pis with the right turbo. You should able to pull off a turbo kit for about 2k. But do a tranys swap 1st...if not there is no point and adding anymore power over stock.

BTW there is no way your are pushing 170hp with the mods you have. Full exhaust header and intake will yield you maybe 6-7hp AT MOST w/o a tune. With a tune you might squeeze out 10hp.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well looked it up and damn converting to 5speed is extremely expensive. mostly just labor and parts other than the trans itself.. ppl were saying around 3k. i found some h22 trans with lsd i could buy for like 600 but everything else adds up quick.

and i dont know what to do with the engine afterwards. ive heard theres different amounts of work you can do, all costing higher amounts. like getting stuff bored larger? plus adding other random parts. told you i dont know **** about the engine itself lol i feel like i should just google a diagram of the engine or something

and i said i guess i was just putting up estimates on how much hp i was getting from those parts, since i have about 145 stock.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Supper Moderator

umm 3k for a auto to 5speed swap?...Maybe if you took it to the honda dealer that might cost that much. I’m doing mine myself. So all the cost is in the trans. Call around to some mom and pop shops and see what they will charge. 3k sounds way too high price. You can build your auto trans for your power goals but not really worth it. You will prob. spend 2k on the trans and boosted auto cars are really really boring to drive and they rob you of 20-30% of your power(that’s why ppl call them slush boxes). Your best bet is to do a 5speed swap...or look for a honda with a 5seed if you wanna go on with this build.

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-22-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well im not putting a different stock trans in the car, most likely ill get a rebuilt auto trans built for up to 350 hp. some of my friends have turbo auto and their cars are crazy. and since i dont wanna ruin my engine im gonna be doing a top end rebuild at least, not sure what specifically is being upgraded, though. i appreciate your input though man. its weird that you're basically the only one trying to help and no one else has posted, even with other threads

Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Supper Moderator

Well if you want to buy parts for safety...buy some rods keep your stock pistons. Get a new valve train and maybe a regrind on your cam( the cam if more b/c you upgraded you valve train...very good idea to do since you are going boost) and you will be good to go. I mean you can get pistons but that’s 500bucks...and the power goals your are shooting for you don't need them. Just make sure you buy all QUALTY parts not ebay or megan racing crap. Buy the real deal that’s where most ppl screw up and wonder why their car only last 20-30k miles after building.
We have some ppl who know there stuff on this forum but they don't get online as much as I do. Since I’m not working right now I’m online all the time. If you have any more question just hit me up bro. Hope this helps you out some.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

if im doing the top end rebuild, should i also get different parts fuel wise? like pumps and etc. not too sure whats included on a rebuild since id have to go to a mechanic. or any other performance parts for that matter. i do know i wanna get the cylinders bored larger (my friend really suggests that for power. hes a mechanic but he works on euro's so he can only help me with general knowledge).

and if you know a place that makes good trans for hondas that would be great. my friend suggests billet but its still hard to find on the internet.

but yea you have helped out so far, so thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Supper Moderator

Well you will need a new fuel pump and injectors. As for boring out...you can only go from 85mm bore to a 86mm bore. Not really worth it. Plus you have to get aftermarket pistons so you spending 500 plus the price to bore. You won’t see much if a power diff. Your going boost you will be fine. Now if you were sticking N/A I would say bore out and get higher c/r piston. But your boosting you don’t really need to change your c/r you have a good one to start with. That’s why ppl like boosting f series engines.
I don't know anything about building autos. I see it as a total waste of time and never was interested. I mean why build your engine for power when the auto trans will just rob you of a good 20-30% of your power. So if making 300hp your only putting down let’s say 270 or so. I'm telling you the 5 speed trans is going to be your best investment. Do it right the 1st time man...you will wonder why you didn’t later on and kick yourself b/c of it.