Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

High Revs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Default RE: High Revs

i have heard about that as well. i guess they like the high revs maybe because the vtec engages after 4 or 5k.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Thats pretty good there AccordsOwn...I like that

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: falkore24

As for revving, I try to shift before the limit, but I've hit it before. I hear that the Honda's that don't last are the ones that are babied too much.
Anyone else that think this is true? If it is then I'm going to start driving my mom's 04 civic on the weekends. It has never seen 4K+ RPM before and I would love to introduce it to the redline.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM

"So you've never bounced it off the rev limiter? "
"What does bouncing the tach mean and how can I avoid it?[/quote] "

At, or around redline, there's a rev-limiter to save goofballs like me. I think in my car it's a fuel cut-off rev-limiter. Scares the cheese outa me when I hit it, 'cuz it's almost like hitting a wall when the motor momentarily cuts off.

If your oil's good, and the engine's warmed up, revving is no problemo. I'll take it up to 5K rpm's just to listen to the sweet sound. In fact, it's a lot healthier than lugging it like a lot of drivers do.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM

yes it is. especially, if that was the way the engine was broken in.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Is the rev limiter somewhere in the redzone or is it before the redline? Is the rev limiter kicking in when I gas it and the auto tranny shifts just before the tach redlines?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In D4, the engine should never hit the limiter. On my car, the redline starts somewhere around 6400 rpm and the limiter is at 7k. When I floor it, the engine will just hit 7k but not the limiter. When you hit the rev limiter, the tach will bounce and you will know it! So you know what it is, get on the highway with the tranny locked in 2 and get up to speed. Somewhere around 60 you will be bouncing the limiter .... maybe a little lower for a 4-banger.

The drawn redline on my car is lower than where the tranny wants to shift on it's own, so I do not really concern myself with the 6400 mark. For me, the bounce is the limit. at highway speeds, the TCU is very well optimized on these cars aka. - no need to shift. I shift mostly to improve my control over the car functions such as downshifting before I hit the gas for passing or to engine brake a bit. Other than holding 1st gear, shifting won't make the car faster ..... the 1st gear thing may be unique to my car though, it always trys to be in 2nd and while moving won't downshift to 1 unless I do it manually.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: falkore24

In D4, the engine should never hit the limiter. On my car, the redline starts somewhere around 6400 rpm and the limiter is at 7k. When I floor it, the engine will just hit 7k but not the limiter. When you hit the rev limiter, the tach will bounce and you will know it! So you know what it is, get on the highway with the tranny locked in 2 and get up to speed. Somewhere around 60 you will be bouncing the limiter .... maybe a little lower for a 4-banger.

The drawn redline on my car is lower than where the tranny wants to shift on it's own, so I do not really concern myself with the 6400 mark. For me, the bounce is the limit. at highway speeds, the TCU is very well optimized on these cars aka. - no need to shift. I shift mostly to improve my control over the car functions such as downshifting before I hit the gas for passing or to engine brake a bit. Other than holding 1st gear, shifting won't make the car faster ..... the 1st gear thing may be unique to my car though, it always trys to be in 2nd and while moving won't downshift to 1 unless I do it manually.
Oh ok I know what you mean now. I've never hit the rev limiter on any of the cars I've driven so far. BTW the Accord will do more than 60 for an auto. Mine does around 65 before it goes into the redzone. The 01 goes to almost 75 when you hit the redline.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok, 60 was a guess ..... when I hit the rev limit (accidentally), I am not looking at the dash!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I'm hoping that I will never have to hit the rev limiter because it'll probably scare the crap out of me if it's anything like Grand Turismo 3.

Quick Reply: High Revs