Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Honda dies when I take off???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM
aedcustoms
Unregistered
Default Honda dies when I take off???

Hey guys new to the forum, looks like a lot of good info in here. But my honda is giving me fits, it will die when i try to take off from a complete stop if i give it a good stomp on the gas, on a regular takeoff (normal i guess) it kinda bogs down but does not die, Any ideas??

i does have CEL light on for P0141, which from what i've seen here could be the O2 sensor, relay or fuse-could this be causing it??

i recently changed the oil, plugs and air filter hoping it would help but it did not (was doing the same thing before these changes)

its a 2004 honda accord 2.4L (102K miles)

Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Supper Moderator

Ever replaced fuel pump or filter? Id change the o2 b/c your running limp mode and wasting lots of gas. That COULD be why it bogs down b/c to much fuel. Or it could be a lack of fuel dew to maybe clogged filter and or a bad pump. Change the o2 1st see if it corrects it if not go the filter and then pump. Someone else might have a better insight then me but that what I would personally do.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM

spam spam spam

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-17-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
David W
Unregistered

I posted that I had a similar problem, I had my 02 sensor replaced. Mechanic took car for a ride with computer hooked up and said car was running cold at 152 deg. and that I should change my thermostat. I did (not so easy to do on a 1994 Accord 2.2L) . In the time driving it before I replaced the thermostat, engine under load, climbing hill at start off would bog down, and I also had to let off on gas and then tromp it and it would clear itself. Also did this after replacing thermostat. The other day got annoyed and disconnected plug for 02, engine ran fine, no bogging down climbilng hills even after I slowed so that it downshifted to low.
I did notice in the exhaust pipe that engine was running rich when this was happening. I connected 02 sensor as per mechanics advice, he told me not to drive it if I could, as he will look at it 3/24.
Any help would be appreciated as to why this is.
Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by David W
I posted that I had a similar problem, I had my 02 sensor replaced. Mechanic took car for a ride with computer hooked up and said car was running cold at 152 deg. and that I should change my thermostat. I did (not so easy to do on a 1994 Accord 2.2L) . In the time driving it before I replaced the thermostat, engine under load, climbing hill at start off would bog down, and I also had to let off on gas and then tromp it and it would clear itself. Also did this after replacing thermostat. The other day got annoyed and disconnected plug for 02, engine ran fine, no bogging down climbilng hills even after I slowed so that it downshifted to low.
I did notice in the exhaust pipe that engine was running rich when this was happening. I connected 02 sensor as per mechanics advice, he told me not to drive it if I could, as he will look at it 3/24.
Any help would be appreciated as to why this is.
Thanks.
I ran my cb7 for almost a year w/ out a thermo and it didnt effect anything except the gas millage and heat when it was cold.