Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

I want a sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Default I want a sleeper

First off, I'd like to say hello as I am a new member to the forums. I have a 2004 Accord EX Sedan with the K24a4 2.4L engine attached to the 5-spd tranny. This has been my car throughout college, and now that I have graduated I plan on keeping it for a while down the road to save up some cash. My only problem is I will be stuck in an economy car, which will be a little too sluggish for me. I've been doing my research around the internet and I've come to the conclusion that I want more "WOW!" out of the Accord (aka "sleeper"). I am looking to go naturally aspirated. The only exterior difference will be lowering the car, HID's, and adding some anthracite Enkei ZR2's, but I'll put that in the suspension section. I'm looking to completely rebuild the engine with 10.5:1 or 11.5:1 pistons (advice?) bore it to 90mm and keep the stroke at 99mm. I'll swap the head out for a K20a2 head ported and honed with new internals. I'm looking for advice/comments on my parts list for the rebuild:

Pistons: 10.5:1 or 11.5:1 Brian Crower Pistons
Crankshaft: Didn't plan on swapping unless needed
Head: K20a2 (RSX type S)
Cams: Skunk2 Tuner Series Cams
Connecting Rods: Brian Crower Pro Series Connecting Rods
Exhaust Header: DC Sports Ceramic 4-2-1
Throttle Body: Skunk2 Pro Series Billet Throttle Body
Intake Manifold: Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Manifold
Intake: AEM Cold Air Intake
Fuel Rail: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail
Radiator: Stillen Aluminum Radiator
Valves: Skunk2 high compression 1 piece valves
Valve Springs: Skunk2 Tuner Series Springs
Retainers: Skunk2 Titanium Retainers
ECU: Not sure what to do here

As far as the transmission goes, I've head of people doing the RSX 6 speed or TSX 6 speed swap, anyone done this or seen it? Any and all advice/comments are welcome and appreciated.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Supper Moderator

well it looks like your off to a good start with he parts list.

But...Ditch the DC sports header. Get a Bisimoto header. You look to be doing a nice build and usein a DC header is just going to bottle neck your flow. Bisimoto know what’s up when it comes to hondas. His header will be expensive but with the part's list you have going I see you have some money to drop in your car. Get a MANDREL bent 2.5’ exhaust with your choice of muffler.
Also The fuel rail. You don't need it. It will be waste of money it will gain you no power. You stock rail will do just fine. As for you crank have it micro polished and balanced. Make sure to use ARP rod bolts ARP head studs ect…
Also if you are going to use 11:5:1 pistons and the skunk 2 high compression valve your compression ratio will be higher than 11:5:1. So might want to rethink thos valves and just use reg. skunk 2 valves. Unless you want that high of c/r. The c/r you want to have will need a really really really good tune. So look around your area for a tuner who knows what they are doing and can tune very well.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 PM

put some k20 heads on. you'll get that fast rev like the rsx and civics get.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

You will want the higher comp pistons for the real power, 11.5 is no problem for pump gas.

As for the ECU you will need to get a RSX-S wiring harness and ECU and then run hondata.

Also you can swap for a TSX tranny, but not a RSX.

I started a build like this a year or so ago, but ended up selling it. K series are very expensive to build, and you will be in it at least as much as your car is worth. The ECU set up will cost you close to $1,000 with tune, and a TSX 6speed will cost you over $1,000 unless you can find a steal.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM

I appreciate the response, this build is a little down the road for me but I'll keep it updated accordingly. As for pricing, I'm looking to save up for an F-250 Diesel @ ~$65,000, so I'll be in the Accord for a while and I might as well make it interesting...