Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Increasing Piston Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Increasing Piston Stroke

^I concur with this statement.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM

i have to say.... here we go again, and the size of the piston as well as its length is maximized to your block andybigger it will sieze up, and longer it will hit the top of the block and snap

Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM

intake on tl-s would probably net an impressive 5-10HP. Clear up the exhaust a bit....just a bit. TL-S is pretty free-flowing but is still kinda restrictive.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM

TL-s hahaha no way man... youll end up paying wayyyy more for everything... insurance, gas, custom parts.... keep your car and swap out the motor for a H22... youll have more than enough power with that.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: falkore24

http://www.paeco (dot) com/Stroker%20Kits.htm

They don-t list it, but I read on another forum that they make a kit that makes the F23 2803 cc's and cost $1600.

I don't think the car would necessarily need a tune, but it would to maximize the output.
Forgot Brian Crower makes a 2.5l stroker kit for the H22 that could probably be adapted to the F23, but its $2500.

With some work you MIGHT be able to make a K24 crank work and get it to 99mm stroke.

Anyway you look at it you are looking in the thousands of dollars range, and all this on a slushbox tranny is worthless.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Tippman, ^??

To stroke the motor will require a crank with a longer throw, and either shorter con-rods or pistons with a shorter pin to crown distance (or both). The gains are very unlikely to be worth the trouble and expense, and the engine is quite likely to be less reliable (especially if revved hard).

Increasing engine capacity to 2.8L (as per that stroker kit) will make it a huge capacity for a straight four, and it's likely to vibrate excessively (even with balance shafts?). All I can see is pitfalls and problems with this.

If a substantial increase in bottom end and mid range power is wanted, and you feel the need to be a bit different, then I still think a mechanical supercharger would be a much better bet than stroking. A Turbocharger would be easier since there's so much turbo knowledge out there (not to mention hardware). A smallish turbo would probably give almost instantaneous bottom end grunt so feel similar to a supercharger, though probably fall off a bit at higher rpm.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Instead of buying a stroker kit. You could spend 1/3 of what it would cost for one and send your crank off to Castillo and have the stroked increased to how you wantit.

Also, pretty sure Crower's stroker kit designed for the H22 with 50mm mains (the most popular) and not the one with 55mm mains (H22a4 and F23 size) so that wont work. The K24's utilize a timing chain instead of a belt so that requires more custom work..again...not worth it.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM

whoa whoa whoa looks like i havent checked this thread in a minute...well from reading everything and everyones opinion...i agree with alot except i will in no way buy the TL-s...lol..sticking to honda well at least US honda...and as to what blkcurrantkord said...who exactly is castillo??...and would it be worth sending it to him??....

JohnL what you said about the smallish turbo what do you mean by fall off a bit at higher rpm??...because a turbo is starting to sound more and more appetizing

and to falkore...im kinda digging what you said...making the f23 2803 cc's...i think im willing to go that route and just get a tune afterwards..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM

please tell me you realize acura is honda, infact most acura motors have honda on them,
and i was on [sm=rant.gif] so idk if anything i wrote made sense

Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

yea thats why i said US honda...not honda in general..lol..believe me i thought about it b4 i typed it...acura is honda in japan...but in the US i mean ya kno what im saying..

Quick Reply: Increasing Piston Stroke