Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Increasing Piston Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Increasing Piston Stroke

ORIGINAL: AccordLXMaster

yea thats why i said US honda...not honda in general..lol..believe me i thought about it b4 i typed it...acura is honda in japan...but in the US i mean ya kno what im saying..
not really no offense honda produces acura, just like toyota produces lexus, and nissan produces infinity, in both the use and jap

EDIT: mercedes also produces Smart

Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM

aggghhh thats right it is the luxury performance line of honda...my fault...careless GM user mistake...lol

Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM

And i'm pretty sure acura is just a luxury division for the U.S. since most of their other cars worldwide under acura's wing wear honda badges...

Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM

actually the nissan infinty one took me a while, the 350z was the key for me, casue it looks so similar to the g35

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM

i love the g35s with the fat back on em...lol

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Honda just recently started making Acuras in Japan.

nissan-infinity
honda-acura
ford-mercury/Lincoln
5 star Motors?-Dodge/Chrysler
toyota-lexus/scion
bmw-mini
GM-Saab and more

list goes on

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM

whoa whoa i thought GM made all of american made cars cept hondas and acuras and ya kno

Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 AM

A smaller turbo will spool up very quickly and so have very little noticable lag (quite possibly not noticable at all, so at lower to mid rpm would feel like a supercharged motor, or a bigger capacity NA motor), but, a smaller turbo will struggle to supply enough air volume at higher rpm, so power will tend to drop away. A bigger turbo will have some degree more lag, but these days you should be able to have a well set up turbo with relatively good response at lower rpm, that still has decent boost up high. Others here will be able to better advise you on turbo set ups than I can.

None of the following may present a problem in any specific instance, but then it might, especially if stroking is a novel procedure on a particular engine, so the mods may be relatively undeveloped?:

A stroked stock crank has the journals ground eccentrically undersize (moving the big end journal axes a little farther from the main bearing axis), which does a few things (other than increase crank throw). It weakens the crank simply because the big end bearing journals are a smaller O.D. (which may or may not be an issue depending on original strength and red line), and destroys any factory surface hardening that is likely to have been performed on the crank. It may be possible to restore the hardened surface, but then it may not (easily) depending on how the surface was treated originally (which could be mechanical such as shot peening or more likely cold rolling of the journal / web radii, or chemical such as nitriding etc...). A crank that isn't surface hardened (particulalrly at the journals) is more prone to developing cracks and breaking.

Increasing the crank throw dictates the use of either shorter rods, and / or pistons with shorter pin to crown distance. Shorter rods change the rod angles as the piston moves up and down, increasing the angularity of the rod (except at TDC and BDC) which can increase piston / ring / bore wear because the greater rod angle 'pushes' the piston harder against the bore and may 'tilt' the piston more (or at least may create a stronger 'tilting moment', which may or may not be a problem...).

Longer crank throw and shorter rods will also increase piston accelerations (particularly near TDC and BDC), as well as changing the time spent with the piston at / near either TDC or BDC, which may or may not affect things like suitable cam timing (???), and change the speed with which the piston approaches TDC, which may affect desireable ignition timing(??). If you need non stock unusual pistons, then they may or may not be readily available...

Stroking the engine messes with it's basic design, and you may (or may not) encounter unforseen problems. I would suggest that unless you're following a well tested path with a known outcome on a particular engine then you may be opening a can of worms by 'pioneering' a 'new' approach to modding Honda engines...

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: AccordLXMaster

whoa whoa whoa looks like i havent checked this thread in a minute...well from reading everything and everyones opinion...i agree with alot except i will in no way buy the TL-s...lol..sticking to honda well at least US honda...and as to what blkcurrantkord said...who exactly is castillo??...and would it be worth sending it to him??....

JohnL what you said about the smallish turbo what do you mean by fall off a bit at higher rpm??...because a turbo is starting to sound more and more appetizing

and to falkore...im kinda digging what you said...making the f23 2803 cc's...i think im willing to go that route and just get a tune afterwards..
Google Castillo.

You'll need more than just a "tune" if you even think of increasing your engine's displacement to 2.8L. Get ready to fork out about $10k

Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Yay! $10k! Anyway can just throw that money into a car thats worth less, right?

Can we just lock this thread? People are giving this kid waaay to much info for his own good. AccordLXMaster, you're about a year younger than me and I make about as much as you possibly can without a college education or a job in a skilled labor. I cannot afford to put much on my car. You dont just dump 10 large into a car if it has no purpose, nobody does that. You have very limited knowledge of cars and even less of engines, so please stop wasting our time with your fantasy land dreams. We all want to have the fastest, baddest car on the block and for 90% of us, its just not going to happen. You need to start reading. A few years back I went to the bookstore and got a bunch of books on nitrous, turbocharging, and a book specifically written about Honda 4-cyl engines... albeit, it was much over my head, but I read what I could and then returned the books to get my money back =D

Quick Reply: Increasing Piston Stroke