Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

J30A build

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: J30A build

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I personally would be hesitant to use a carbed motor on a plane since the temp and air/fuel mixture can be funky at higher altitudes and a fuel injected motor could compensate for that.... any reason in particular that you chose the J30A? or is that just what came to mind? Any weight restrictions for the engine that you have already figured out?
Carburators compensate intrinsically because the float bowl vents are exposed to the lower pressure at altitude. Still, the jets go outside of thier control range anyway. And they have to be protected from icing.

ButFI can only compensate within the range that's programmed into the ECU. Somehow I doubt the ECU is programmed to 'understand' why the signal from theBARO sensorwouldgo to 15,000 feet. It would probably throw a CEL with a code for 'BARO sensor out of range'.

It's an interesting project. I'd be careful to consider every little detail like that. Also... what FAA regulatory hoops will you have to jump thru?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
akplanebuilder
Unregistered

3.2 CL? which car does that come out of? What rpm is it turning to produce it and what are the torque numbers? Or where can I find the specs for this engine? Weight is a factor and if this is lighter I am interested. Don't have an engine yet, still looking. As far as adjusting for altitude with a carb, After market carbs with adjustable mixture controls are made and i will spend more time traveling low and slow anyways.
This will be on a float plane in summer and skis in winter. not looking for hot rod in the air just light weight and reliable with good hp and tq. As far as FAA is concerned, hoops are pretty easy to get through if you are a patient person. Engine must run on stand for so many hrs at various power settings, then on plane for 40 hrs to prove reliable then you fly like normal plane with some restrictions.(easy version)

Old 02-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Huge brainfart on my part.... I was recalling 2 stroke motors, snowcats have a problem if they aren't jetted for the proper altitude.... chalk another tally on my retard board *L*

Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: akplanebuilder

3.2 CL? which car does that come out of?
Acura 3.2 CL is the car. What's the actual engine type in there (J32something)?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:33 PM

sorry jim we are dealing with Fuel Iinjection there is no such this as a barometer in the engine... all that is us maf (if ya have one) TPS and MAP sensors... there is no point where the engine cannot compensate for the altitude change on a OBD 2... or noone would ever be able to drive over summits... (i live at 7000 feet and regularly venture up to 10000+) but at those altitudes we are talking a serious loss in power...

now a carburated engine would fall flat on its face because a carb engine has to be calibrated for different altitudes... springs jets and floats must all be changed and timing advanced or retarded depending...

a C32 engine comes out of a 3.2CL i would SERIOULY consider forced induction if i was going to build any honda engine into a plane engine just for the small reason that at the high altitudes theres no quite enough air density to run a engine powerfully... with forced induction u can dynamicly compensate for the loss in air pressure at the high altitudes...

for the FAA it would just fall into the range of a kit plane and probably not even have many issues...