Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

junk yard engine

Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation junk yard engine

I was woundering what I should check on it befor I actually but it to make sure its good. I will check the condition of the oil and spark plugs. but what els should i check on it? the engine has 80k on it so I will be replacing the timeing chain. any advice would be great thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pull spark plugs and turn engine over to make sure water is not in cylinders and pistons move easily in cylinders.

You could attach a battery and turn engine over w/ starter to test compression. Some oil squirted in cylinders would provide a better indication of compression. Compression test will also indicaate any leaking valves.

When I bought a used engine (Dodge V8), I went by the shops to see how they stored the engine. Some leave outside in vehicle (bad) and some remove and store inside (best). First engine I bought was dropped at mechanics' shop outside in a driving rain storm allowing water into engine. The salvage yard replaced w/ a similar engine that worked well.

good luck

Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Pull spark plugs and turn engine over to make sure water is not in cylinders and pistons move easily in cylinders.

You could attach a battery and turn engine over w/ starter to test compression. Some oil squirted in cylinders would provide a better indication of compression. Compression test will also indicaate any leaking valves.

When I bought a used engine (Dodge V8), I went by the shops to see how they stored the engine. Some leave outside in vehicle (bad) and some remove and store inside (best). First engine I bought was dropped at mechanics' shop outside in a driving rain storm allowing water into engine. The salvage yard replaced w/ a similar engine that worked well.

good luck
Good idea. this engine is in the car right now the junk yard said the will pull it or i can