General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! bought and returned 3 junk yard starters, none match?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Exclamation help! bought and returned 3 junk yard starters, none match?

ive been having trouble finding the correct starter for my 91 CB7 5 speed. im pretty sure that the guy who owned the car before me had already replaced it because there is no markings showing any sort of brand, type, manufacturer or anything of the sort. i had a few junk yards send me some starters and none of them look anything close to what i have, and the bolt holes arnt lining up either, as well as the solenoid looking WAY off. as far as i know of the 5 speed LX model that i have only has 2 different model starters, nippondenso, and mitsuba. i left the starter at work today (i work at a local small family owned automotive garage, how sad is it that me and the boss man are having trouble finding this starter haha) so i cant post a picture of it till tomorrow. i was wondering if anyone knew a way of using the vin number to figure out which starter that it should have? as i type this now i realized i havnt called the dealership to ask which was stupid on my part....anyways besides the fact that i havnt called the dealership can anyone shine some light on this for me? and if the vin number can be decoded to find out here it is.....JHMCB7559MC044733

Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Go to an online Honda dealer site like Bernardi Honda Parts and enter your VIN.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

You might also want to check the engine block number to see if it was swapped with a different engine.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM

im going to check bernardi right now, and the engine is the same its the F22A. someone just did a bunch of weird stupid *** work to it. the exhaust was worked on, and somehow instead of bolting the intermediate pipe to the catalytic converter, he got some probably ****ty aftermarket cat, and welded it in. so now at 188k its rotted out (i live in new england Massachusetts to be exact, luckily nothing else is rotted at all but the exhaust which is amazing for where i live) i have to change it and im going to probably have to buy an aftermarket header & header back exhaust kit because its impossible to weld anything to this giant heep of rot i have to call an exhaust system

Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM

and i just realized you must live in new england too when i typed in Bernardi and saw it was a MA dealership

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM

i tried using the bernardi website, no luck, it shows options when clicked on starter to chose from both the above named starter companys...

Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

I am pretty sure you need a starter from a manual transmission accord.

What is the problem with the starter? Is it making one click, then doing nothing?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM

i know that i definatly need a 5 speed starter an automatic wouldnt come close to lining up. im a mechanic lol im not dumb enough to try putting a starter from an automatic on my standard tranny. the problem is the manual transmission LX for 91 has 2 differnt brand starters for sure, possibly a 3rd that i dont know about, that come on the cars the names of which i listed in the original post. BUT the guy before me must of replaced it with a rebuilt because it has no markings what so ever on it. after having a few junk yards bring me a few starters from each brand and not having ANY luck, i just tried red bulls idea of calling the dealer with my VIN number, the guy also had trouble finding out which one it was and said he would call me back, after 3 hours of no reply i called back to see if he forgot about me. he then told me he didnt know what to tell me and that i should bring it into the dealership. but i already know when i go waste me time bringing them my starter they are probably going to say its rebuilt and they dont know, maybe not but thats just the kind of bad luck i have.

and im not even sure what the starter was doing anymore ive had it out of the car for like 5 months now, i dont understand what the issue was because it was working fine with NO problems at all until i parked it when i stopped working. it was parked during the summer time, and when i went to drive it to my new work in like september it wouldnt start, i tried hittin it while cranking the car to see if it was just stuck and needed to be knocked loose but had no luck, i live on a STEEP hill and kept pulling it to the top with my buddys accord and trying to pop start it on the way down and after what felt like 20 failed attempts i got it running and got it to my work and took it out.

i dont understand why it was fine then after letting it sit for a few warm months it decided to let go? i know cars dont like to sit without being used for to long but still it was during the warm months, its not like it was sitting out in 3 feet of snow for months on end. when i got it to the shop and took it out i took emery cloth and scuffed up the connections inside the starter and were the power feed is, still no luck, and if i remember correctly thats when it would just click and not turn over. i even tried bypassing the solenoid and feeding the power to it directly and STILL had no luck lol. if someone knows something i dont please share what you know, especially if you can help me figure out why none of these starters are working on the original F22A engine and 5 speed tranny