General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack points and jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Default Jack points and jack stands

Got a question for you all. Is there a good place to put a jack stand underneath a 2000 Accord coupe? I'm guessing the only place would be the frame rails coming out from the unibody. I was trying to diagnose a creak in the left front with the car jacked up with a floor jack with a safety pin in it thus it essentially is like a jack stand. I then was compressing the front spring with a scissor jack and apparently went too far, with an uneven garage floor and weight transferring, the car slid off the main jack and hit the floor. Thankfully the only damage other than my nerves was the dust plate behind the rotor. The floor jack had a brand name of Mack, like the trucks. It was the only one I had seen with that safety pin feature, and with the car landing on it, it's kind of wobbley now so it won't be used again. I hate the idea of working under that car without a jack stand. I really wished they would have designed it with some type of metal running all the way down the side to place a jack stand under it. And also, does anyone know where I could find another floor jack like that? On a brighter note after hitting the floor apparently whatever was causing the creaking noise seems to be gone now

Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Honda traditionally puts a center lift point front & rear. Lift up one end & put jackstands under where the tire-changing jack would go.

Front-center is underneath the radiator, there's usually some kind of arrow pointing to it. At the rear you put the jack under the towing loop.

But even with jackstands, you still have to be careful about lifting the hubs enough to cause the same thing again.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks. I'll have to look for those points. Now, anyone know where to get a good floor jack with some type of safety bar?