General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best Jack Stands and Floor Jack locations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Default Best Jack Stand and Floor Jack locations?

I'm getting ready to replace the rear rotors and brakes on my '07 SE. I'm wondering where the best place is to locate the jack stands and my floor jack. I've seen online videos where someone put their jack stands in the spot where the scissor jack would go. My jack stands have a curved saddle so that didn't seem like a good idea without some type of adapter. That same video showed the floor jack located under the tiedown hook near the rear bumper. On my Lexus RX300, I locate the floor jack under a support member about 3' from the bumper. What do you folks do?

Thanks for your help,

Reggi

Last edited by Reggi's-accord; 02-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

All the Hondas I've owned use that tie-down hook as the official recommended rear-center jacking point.
95 Integra
98 Accord
03 Accord
07 Civic
So I bet that's the traditional thing for all Hondas. I jack the center then put the stands at the rear-side jacking points.

The tire-changing jack has a shallow V and the metal flange simply sits on that. I just take my stands & put a piece of cardboard between to provide a little protection for the paint & rustproofing.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the jacking points and stand locations (front and rear) for future reference.

Attached Thumbnails Best Jack Stands and Floor Jack locations?-jacking-locations.jpg   Best Jack Stands and Floor Jack locations?-jack-stand-support-points.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks Guys, you are the best!! I'll use those lift points and try the cardboard tip. I wish someone had a notched adapter to fit over the jack stand saddles (to duplicate the way the scissor jack makes contact).

Last edited by Reggi's-accord; 02-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I fashioned some adapters for my jack stands to allow support on ether side of the vertical plate stablizer. Here's what I did:

1) Traced outline of the jackstand support onto 1/2" plywood and cut 4 pieces to fit the jack stand smoothly w/ jigsaw. A band saw would be better if available. Cut pieces are flat on top and complex curve on bottom to fit the jack stand support.
2) Wood glue used to join 2 pieces together into a single ~ 1" thick adapter.
3) Cut a center slot in adapters deep enough to allow the guide plates to penetrate w/o supporting the vehicle. Load is out rocker arm panel either side of the vertical plate.

Adapters have worked well for several years now.

good luck

Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Default Jack adaptor

Originally Posted by Reggi's-accord
Thanks Guys, you are the best!! I'll use those lift points and try the cardboard tip. I wish someone had a notched adapter to fit over the jack stand saddles (to duplicate the way the scissor jack makes contact).
I used two hockey pucks glued together with a groove cut in the middle.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

As referenced above, I would think just a small (6") section of 2x4 with a groove cut in it, would do the trick, no? A nice piece of pine always seems to cushion the load and mold to the sharper features of the jack/stand and jack points.

I've been using sections of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood as needed on both the Honda and Mercedes ... works very well for me.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM

I don't get it. I've got a smashed finger tip on my right hand from my failure to place jackstands under the rear to try & rotate my tires - fail.

So I looked at that hook, won't that hook bend if I place the cup of the floor jack underneath it ?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

The tow hook shouldn't bend, I've jacked up Hondas by the tow hook(s) plenty of times without problems. As a precaution, I always place wheel chocks on the opposite end of the car from where I am jacking.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never bent a tow hook. It appear to be high strength steel. I always use chocks and set e-brake if lifting front. If lifting rear leave in park.

On front, I sometime support on the anti-sway bar guide plate. This lifts higher and is easier to support w/ a V-shaped jack-stand support. This is not a Honda-approved support point!!

good luck