Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Just a small problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
love2learn
Unregistered
Default Just a small problem

My wife has a 99 accord. She is telling me there is an engine light that "just came on". She is really good at telling me any symptoms and she is stating there is none. The car just rolled over to 81500. I am thinking it is a service code of some type? What could it be at 80,000 or so? Is there anyway I can reset it myself? or do i have to take it to a dealer?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Just a small problem

ORIGINAL: love2learn

My wife has a 99 accord. She is telling me there is an engine light that "just came on". She is really good at telling me any symptoms and she is stating there is none. The car just rolled over to 81500. I am thinking it is a service code of some type? What could it be at 80,000 or so? Is there anyway I can reset it myself? or do i have to take it to a dealer?

Thanks
take it to autozone or anystore like that and they will diagnose what is setting it off.

as far as i know it never sets off just for schedualed maintence

Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
love2learn
Unregistered

problem with me taking it to autozone is:
I am a soldier stationed in germany. No such thing. This is more of a DIY if I can.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 AM

hmmm...if its not too much trouble for your wife...tell her that before she goes to sleep at night to remove the negative terminal on the battery..in the morning have her place the negative terminal back on and start up the car if the engine light pops up after 30 - 45 seconds then there is something wrong.....ALSO....the 6th generation accords are very picky...it could also be that when she went to place gas in the car she didn't close the gas pump tight enough....she has to do it until the clicking stops and the top is in tight...try these two methods and if after that the engine light is still on....her best bet is autozone or a local honda dealer

Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM

OH and another thing it could that she just needs a change in oil or she could even be LOW in oil but if shes low on oil the 6th generation accord just simply won't acceralate after a certain point from my experience i was running low on oil and when i would accerlerate when i reached 40 MPH the engine would not let me acccelarate any further past 40 you'll simply feel a strong pull back and it will feel like your pistons are rubbing together its a very scary feeling and site so she has to be careful.....or maybe one of her sensors is acting up like the O2 sensor for example...alot of things could be setting it off but try the first 2 methods i told u before moving to these steps..first try tightening the gas top removing the negative battery terminal AT NIGHT cuz the car has to sit there and then place the terminal if the light is still there check your oil....and then if it still persists....have a dealer or store run a computer diagnostic.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 AM

If you have google mail or yahoo might work, give me your address and I can email you photos I took of a manual on how to obtain engine codes with a jumper wire. Other emails may work too, if these pics arent too large. They were too large to post here. Id shrink them, but it may make them unreadable and would defeat the purpose. These are from my 98-02 Accord Haynes manual. It will make the check engine light flash, and the number of flashes corresponds to the engine codes. I have the list of codes also, so you can tell me what flashes you get and ill look them up. Hope this helps