General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just a small question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Default Just a small question...

I need to replace my fuel and brakes line in my 1996 Honda Accord...

Let's start with the "why"... Some jackass decided it would be amusing to take a rock (or some other blunt object) and smash my brake and fuel lines... The irony here is, I was just about to get my car inspected after spending over 500 bux at the Dealership getting the damn cars emissions problem fixed... Just needed to drive it for another 200 miles to finish making the computer complete it's loop...

Now... I'm trying to find the cheapest place to purchase new brake and fuel lines. I will admit, some of my brake lines were pretty rusted up (which we all know is common for these older Honda's. To be perfectly honest, most people call me an idiot for keeping this car as it has over 200,000 miles on it. As my first 5-speed, I would prefer to keep it, but it is causing lots of problems. Finally get it all done and some reject decides they wanna pull this stunt...

Sorry for my ranting for my first post, but as you can imagine I'm pretty peaved off about it.

I just need to know the cheapest place to get the lines I need... Autozone wont give me the exact sizes I need and NAPA is ALWAYS the most expensive... At least where I live...

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM

I would check out one of the online discounted Honda OEM parts places like hondapartsnow.com or hondapartsunlimited.com. For most, if not all the stuff I've bought recently, OEM parts from the latter was cheaper than Napa. It may take a week or so to get the parts.

If you're in a hurry, you can order the parts through the local dealers website via the eStore. Parts can be delivered to the dealer for no shipping cost and it's cheaper than buying at the parts counter. The two times I've done this, I got parts in one day or if you order say on a Monday night, parts will be there Wednesday (in most cases). I've compared the eStore prices and they've been cheaper than Napa.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Why not try one of our sponsors to see if they can take care of you, tell them the admin of this forum sent you and ask for a discount..

Always look to some of our sponsors for help..
Follow this link below my name..

WheelBrokerAng

www.rockauto.com

Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM

visit your local junkyard. it's like a playground and you can get practice pulling brake lines

Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

At 200K, it is still young.....my 95 turned 380K a week or two ago. OE trans and engine...knocks on wood now

Anyway, several ways of doing this......first question, are you doing the work?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
first question, are you doing the work?
I'm dirt poor... So I kinda have no other choice. I can't afford to let the local garage do it and charge me nearly 700 bux and I certainly can't let the dealership do it as they'll charge me damn near twice that... I've called the dealership since Autozone can't seem to tell me what size lines are on my car unless I rip them off and go take them to the store and have them look at them. The dealership can't seem to tell me either... I have no idea what the hell to do. I can do the brake lines, but fuel lines are on a entirely different level...

Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 AM

same concept, just need to be more careful. get some practice at your junkyard. good weekend project.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 AM

I work 6 days a week... Not really much time to do all this crap. Bad enough I have to ask my brother to help me do this. The cops wouldn't let me keep the car here due to the gas leak... I live in an apartment complex... Lots of kids around. They deemed it as a safety hazard. We towed it to the garage downtown and we're working on getting it to my brothers place, just no way to get it that far. :/

Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

After I had my brake lines replaced, I noticed a different feel to the pedal. I always wondered if the original lines were Metric (millimeter), and the new lines were Imperial (inch).
One of these brainy people would know for sure. but I suspect that there would be a difference between the 2 sizes, say 6mm vs 1/4".

Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 AM

I got my car repaired and registered... It sat for a while with water in the tank (condensation build up) and I tried to drive it anyways after filling the tank. I did drain as much of the water out as I could. Well... After driving it, it caught fire so I took it back to my brothers house as I ran out of money to do any more repairs... A few days later, we had a massive storm here and trees came down... Unfortunately, my car was the only one damaged... A large tree came down and landed on it... Turned it into a damn pancake... ><

Just my luck though. lol