Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

more horsepower on a honda accord 4-cyl

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
trip1980
Unregistered
Default more horsepower on a honda accord 4-cyl

Ok i have a honda accord ex 4-cyl , and I was wondering what I can do to up the horsepower in it without an engine swap. I was thinking of a cold-air intake, cat-back exhaust, intercooler with a NOS shot on the intercooler not engine. I will have to upgrade the fuel: what do I need to do to upgade the fuel?

If anyone has any info on how much all of this will cost and how much overall HP i will get from this . That would be great .

Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Default RE: more horsepower on a honda accord 4-cyl

Cold Air intakes are a great way to add horsepoer i have actually had results where you lose torque. if you think of it this way, a cold air intake is about 5-6 feet in length and a short ram is usually 2-3 feet. the engine gets hotter air but it gets it quicker. I have an APC intake system on my 1999 LX 5-speed and i love it and i only paid 69.95$ for it. cat-backs are also good because they rid the accord of its watermelon sozed muffler and cantelope sized resignator. as the NOS spray over the intercooler, you would need to run a turbo kit to do that but if you add a turbo application and a front mount intercooler w/ the sprayer, it will be hard to keep your foot off the gas pedal because of the fun you will have. but if you decide to go turbo you might wanna think about overhauling your engine if its in the high mileage range with some forged internals, allowing you to run 15-25 psi of boost but if you choose to run with your stock internals on low mileage engine, it would probably be safe to run 7-9 psi so you dont blow your rings.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 AM
trip1980
Unregistered

Ok what do I need to up the internals on the engine. Yep this is my first time trying to hook up one of my cars.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Intercooler = turbo

Internals = pistons, rings, rods @ www.raceeng.com

Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM

You would need some forged internals to make crazy power but if this is your first time working on your car, i would suggest having a professional machine shop/performance shop do the work. Get it bored over enough to take the imperfections out of the block and then get it honed out. If you opt. to use the stock crank get it micro-polished and if you want to free up some more ponies get if knife-edged. for more reliability and horsepower (and a higher redline) get the internals balanced, this will reduce engine drag and make the engine's internals move more freely in unisen with each other. If you want to run high boost you might need some race valves and if your going to run a turbo cam to might want to consider rockers so that the entire rocker contacts the cam. also some springs and retainers. Also look for a low compression head gasket when you look for a turbo. REMEMBER-- HIGH COMPRESSION + TURBO BOOST = BOOM!!! If you go with forged internalsgo with a dished piston.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Short Ram gives how much HP boost?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:47 PM

H series head on a F series block is a cheap way to get more HP and more importantly more TORQUE

Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM

the head swap is only helpful if youre going to do a high compression n/a or turbo with better cam tuning, just the head swap alone you might get 10 to 15 hp out of without changing compression, but i think thats mainly cause the cams on the h heads are larger but not massively larger. Doesnt change the fact that you would still need new fuel maps

Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 PM

not true swapping the head with intake is good for about 20HP over stock and it will allow you to raise redline to about 6800.....

Old 07-14-2006, 11:41 PM

you can raise the redline to that now, stock springs can handle that ^_- but its not like 5 hp is a huge difference. But i havent seen any defined headswaps that make the claim of 20hp..... well, make that claim without change the pistons