Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

more hp thru a chip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
maddentp7
Unregistered
Default more hp thru a chip?

I drive a 2004 V6 6spd coupe, and I am looking for more HP. Has anyone gained significant HP thru a chip or any other electronic mod? If so, what have you used? Thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Default RE: more hp thru a chip?

No. You can't buy a "chip" for your car. The only honda's that can be "chipped" are ones that used the OBDI ECU (Found in the 95 and older 4cyl Accords.)
The "chips" they sell on eBay are garbage and will screw your car up.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ive been trying to find out the same thing...what ive come up with

-v-tec controllers are things you dont want....you shouldnt mess with the v-tec settings...
-chip upgrades and flashes do minimal performance enhancing for what you pay for them.
-e-manage ultimate is around $1000 extremely difficult to tune unless you pay big bucks to someone who absolutely knows what they are doing...even then its not worth it unless you have F/I or new internals.

If you wanna spend good money, buy e-manage, send motor to NVA-AV6 from v6performance.net, have him put TL crank and pistons and cam in your J30 block, and have (what they call) a J33. basically .3 liters more displacement from your engine..which equals more torque and HP...you could even swap your engine block for a J32 and add the same pistons and such to make a J35, like whats in the TL's now...the only reason you cant just swap the whole engine is because of the trannies.

Start saving, this will be your best investment, unless you have 5g's laying around and can afford a Comptech supercharger

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
maddentp7
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. Do you know what kind of HP gains to you get from the e-manage or the supercharger. If you couldn't tell, I am new to this.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM

The supercharger will be a percentage of your current engine power. Probably between 30% and 40% at the crank.
Emanage will all depend on how you tune your engine.
Neither is worth the money IMO.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
maddentp7
Unregistered

What do you guys suggest do get some decent HP gains for a reasonable price (exhaust, intake, etc...)?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM

Basically you are looking at intake and exhaust. You can't get headers cause your stock manifolds are welded on.
Intake & exhaust should do pretty decent on a V6 though.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM

well thats most unfortunate, why weld on headers thou? What if they need to be repaired/replaced? doesnt that make it more expensive to remove them? Is it really that much more cost effective to weld rather than bolt? Since when have they been doing this?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Fenix

well thats most unfortunate, why weld on headers thou? What if they need to be repaired/replaced? doesnt that make it more expensive to remove them? Is it really that much more cost effective to weld rather than bolt? Since when have they been doing this?
The 7th gen V6's manifoldsare welded on from the factory. The remainder of the questions wouldneed to be answered by Honda

Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Fenix
Since when have they been doing this?
just on the 7th gen and up V6's

Actually the manifold is cast with the block, its all one piece.

Maddentp7: I have an intake andexhaust.The only thing about the two is that they sound like it should be fast. The intake is probably your best bet, its cheaper and will help the car breathe easier...from my experiencewith the exhaust it feels as if ithas actually hurtperformancerather than makeany improvements. ive lost low-end torque as a result of 2.25" piping from the cats back to the mufflers...However i have gained a little HPonthe top-end of the RPM scale... these carshave so little torque in the lowerRPM's that the amt i have lost is noticeable...i liked it better when i could stomp on it at a light and spin the wheels...now i cant[sm=boohoo.gif]. But if you want, and dont have a warranty anymore you should look into this..Its the J33 build and shows what they changed and how much parts cost...This guy (NVA-AV6) does this for all sorts of ppl.. you just need to either go the virgina to his house or he can ship you a complete engine and you can return your old core for a refunded amt of money...you will also need the e-manage and an exhaust....

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=88527