Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

which motor to swap 97 accord

Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Default which motor to swap 97 accord

grew up around the Honda scene finally in a spot to build my own, had a passion for the integra, but trying something different, a little rusty so let me know what you think

I want to do a motor swap. I have a 97 accord 4 door (and yes you can laugh i have no idea what package other because all the badges are gone its a WSP rebuild title) its the lame 1.6 right now wondering what my options re including tranny. im looking for the best combo (motor/ tranny) with the least wiring conversion was thinking H series

Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Re-check the stamping on the block. Should be an F22 - in the states.

What are your end plans and budget?

Also what are the state laws where you live?

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Almost A Senior Member

1.6 was never in a accord that i know of, good luck

Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alwyzindalite View Post
grew up around the Honda scene finally in a spot to build my own, had a passion for the integra, but trying something different, a little rusty so let me know what you think

I want to do a motor swap. I have a 97 accord 4 door (and yes you can laugh i have no idea what package other because all the badges are gone its a WSP rebuild title) its the lame 1.6 right now wondering what my options re including tranny. im looking for the best combo (motor/ tranny) with the least wiring conversion was thinking H series
What country was your car originally purchased in? Somewhere in Europe?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 PM

LOL at myself. my mistake you are right no Honda rolls a 1.6 it is 2.2 and yes F series F22 B2 to be exact

Budget? i didnt have one in mind yet since i wasnt really sure what i was getting myself into. total investment probably 5k over time

Location: i live in washington/ and the car as far as i know was purchased in Washington as well

Other: i have been doing tons of research and it was actually recommended that i dont swap but simply mod what i have.. rumor has it the F series is build better for air flow and boosting is best? idea?

Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Accord's never came with a 1.6 in the US, I think the Civic's had a 1.6

Anyway, that is why I asked if you had "plans" already. Any build needs to begin with the end in mind. Yes the F22's take boost very well.

A few things you will want to check into. State Laws - since the 97 is OBD-II, many states require that the car stay OBD-II. So if you go "turbo", you will need to have the ECU "tuned" for it. Many tuner's don't work with OBD-II systems.

So again need to research many things, not only the car/engine stuff but other things. What are the inspection laws, is there a tuner near by - if needed, you might call them with your plans and find out what set up they prefer to work with.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

good luck in your project,,