General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Motor Mount but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Default Bad Motor Mount but which one?

Sup Guys,

My wife owns a 2000 Accord EX V6, for some reason the car kicks when placed in reverse from any gear when its cold. I dont have the problem when i place it back on park or drive after having it in reverse and i dont have the problem when the car is already warmed up. This only happens when its cold. I think it might be a bad motor mount but i'm not sure which one. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone offer some feedback? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to inspect for torn rubber bushing. The front and the rear mounts are more common to fail. The front is easiest to inspect.

I think the rear mount is vacuum controlled, so there may be a problem with the vacuum control system. I am not sure if that kicks in once the engine is warmed up. There have been some posts about that on the forum, so I would search around for something like rear mount vacuum and see what you find.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I took the car to my mechanic yesterday, after having me switch gears he stated the mounts may be bad. He said the upper passenger side mount was definitely bad and should begin by replacing that one first.

I tried checking the Transmission fluid i noticed i was receiving different readings so I double checked myself on the process by confirming with the manual. The manual says to check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temperature. Furthermore it says to shut the engine off. However ive always done it leaving the engine on. I dont recall ever shutting the car off to check the transmission fluid. Can anyone confirm this?

I recall having this exact problem with my previous car, a 99 eclipse spyder. Only it would kick going from reverse into drive and only when the car was cold due to the high idle. Once i replaced the top right motor mount the problem stopped.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

The kicking you describe sounds like a broken/loose mount. Actually finding a torn one would confirm that; sounds like your mechanic did just that?

As far as WHICH mount goes bad most commonly, you can't compare Mitsu vs. Honda vs. Ford or whatever. They're all different, and you cant even completely trust the more common failure in Hondas. Any of them can possibly fail so you want to see which one is coming apart.

Honda wants you to check ATF with the engine/trans all warmed up but turned off. That's unusual compared to most other (non-Honda) cars where you want to check the ATF dipstick with the engine idling.