Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Honda Accord Transmission HELP! Poss motor mount/tranny mount???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
baer77
Unregistered
Default Honda Accord Transmission HELP! Poss motor mount/tranny mount???

Hello everyone, I have a 98 Accord EX (I think) V6 AUTOMATIC with 180,000 miles. Recently this has started happening: when I go from park to reverse or reverse to drive it feels like the transmission "clunks" and and it sort of jerks. Yesterday I was turning up a slight hill and when I let off the brake and gave it a little gas it would not go at all. Finally I gave it alot of gas and it jerked and squealed tire but I made it across the lanes of traffic! Then I parked it and tried to give it a little gas: nothing. I gave it alot of gas and it started moving. Hubby met me and put some tranny fluid in it and we made it home. He said it drove "ok". But we did notice that when it was in drive there was a mechanical kind of humming or clicking under the hood. When he put it in park it stopped. Someone told me today that this could be a bad motor mount. He asked about any lights on and I told him the "maintenance required" light was on but NOT the "check engine" light. This seemed to help him make his decision. I did some research and heard some other people talking about bad transmission mounts? Please help! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much, Ann

Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Bad mounts can cause roughness and car shake at idle. 98-02 Accords have horrible transmission, more so on the V6, and that is NOT an overstatement. Honda was sued in a civil case and lost, they settle with a 107,000-mile/7-year? replacement on Honda automatics and a full recall with Acuras. It's likely the transmission is toast.

There's a lot of threads on this forum alone with the same symptoms and the same transmission and the same outcome.

You can replace the transmission with a rebuilt one for about $3,000. A 5 speed manual swap costs about the same.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:47 PM

i agree with finch that your trans is probably going bad. If you replace the trans you might want to put in a trans cooler too.