Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Clutch Issue... POSS.....!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Default Clutch Issue... POSS.....!

Hi Guys

I have just purchased a 2.2 Executive Tourer, Manual. Its a 2005 model.

I have one isse that I need to get resolved and that is an intermittent clutch fault. Whereby I cannot get into .... Any gear. Pull over and let things settle and then off we go again.....

Today I drove from Wickford to Southend and I had to pull over twice to sort it out. but the first time was about 20-25mins driving and then again about 10 mins later. On the way home I had to pull over only once and was after about 20mins of driving.

Now. in my very limited knowledge I would of thought it either that it needs a new clutch or that the cable needs adjusting as it was not happening all the time. But then I thought it might not be a cable system.. Then the ££££ signs started to roll.....

Most of the time its fine. But when it happens its a right royal pain.

As a side note. this car has done 179000 and I'm not sure if it has a cambelt or timing chain. Can someone enlighten me so I can look a little knowledgeable when I call the garage lol....

Anything else I should be looking to get done while I'm at it???

So if you got any ideas then please fire away.

Cheers Gary

Old 06-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Wickford, Essex, Southend?? I bet you're from England.

Firstly, that's a different car. In USA, your car is called an Acura TSX. But your other post says it's a CDTi. Honda doesn't give us any diesel engines at all over here, so I don't know what's different. Keep that in mind for what I'm saying here.

Clutch is hydraulic, not cable. That doesn't make it horrible either; lots of us work on them at home.

Next time it happens, try pumping the clutch pedal. If that allows you to get into gear without stopping, then it looks like a hydraulic problem. That means the transmission doesn't have to be removed to replace the actual clutch.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 AM

Well. It a deff clutch fault. It failed on my way home 2 days ago. New clutch and Slave cylinder. New Duel Mass Flywheel. Also had a full service and then put it through an MOT as current one only had 2 months left on it.

Total spend £1120.80 or is US money prob about $1800..........

Problem sorted now lol.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch - Thanks for the follow up.