Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

mugen ecu chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: mugen ecu chip

if only the engine block mattered for rev limiters and speed limiters ^_- rsx is acrua, even tho its essentially the same company its still not specifically a honda considering acuras have different design concepts for the cars. What i found for the rsx "Top speed (redline limited) 142 mph" from car and driver http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...nce-page2.html
But yeah, most hondas just dont have the power to push past the 105 mark easily lord knows that stock 4 cyl is capable of a lot but it doesnt matter if the power isnt there. But either way, what exactly is your friend complaining about? I havent seen much of anything saying that honda's have speed limiters beyond people saying they are getting rid of it.... when it was never there to begin with....

Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM

I always confused by the statement that honda vechicles don't have fuel cut offs(e.g. speed governors) My 4 gen ex accord was governed at 114mph, and my 7 gen v6/6spd/MT is govenered at 135mph. All honda and Acura vehicles have these measures built into the there ECM circuitry. We should also be aware that speedometers in cars use average speed(calc'd over a complete revolution of the tire) not instantaneous velocity which introduces more and more error as speed increases. Most speedo's are off as much as 20mph over 100mph.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 AM

I have yet to drive a honda that actually has a governed fuel cutoff, my cars ecu is not modified and i have taken it to 130mph,it wasnt far from redline I was at a closed track with my friends 88 accord (cant remember the trim level) and it made it to 118mph and there was no fuel cutoff it just didnt have the power to push it any further and then a 93 accord ex which i managed 124mph and no fuel cut off.Yeah many speedometer's are off, butthose speeds weretracked with the same radar guns the cops use. Maybe there are some that they set that up with, I dont know I just know based on the ones ive driven and some friends have driven.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM

I would believe that you haven't hit the governor, because as mentioned above you are actually not traveling at the speed you believe you are, even if your speedo says 135mph you quite possible are only traveling at 100-110 ish. Radar guns used by police don't read instantaneous velocity either, it is a simple application of doppler light/sound depending on the gun used and yes they suffer from the cosine factor.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM

So, youre saying that the rpm guage is inaccurate as well?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 PM

governors are easy to remove. i wouldn't doubt that a cheap ECU chip will remove it but I don't think it would do your engine any favors. If you can't purchase one that's "tuned" to your specific mods and vehicle then I wouldn't buy it. Any decent chip is going to cost about $200.00 and they will usually re-program them for free as you make modifications to your car. If the company doesn't offer that feature then walk away.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes, Marbro I would say that tach's also aren't very acurate either, and not a fool proof way of determining a cars actual speed. A perfect example is the post of the guy doing 135mph in the snow(or something to that effect), top gear 6,500K the car must be traveling at 135mph right? I think I have an idea of what your point is behind using rpm to determine speed, and can see your logic, just disagree with you're methods.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM

If a radar gun is inaccurate, a speedometer is inaccurate and the RPM guage isn't accurate (and I'm not saying they are) then how can you figure out how fast you are going?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM

well than maybe i wont even bother with it i was just askin cause someone on here there was a governor at 120 so idk but thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM

Well off the top of my head I can think of 2 ways to get a more accurate measure of speed. One would be marking off a given length of road and timing the cars travel between it, maybe say go the whole length with your speedo showing 65mph, then since you know the time it takes to travel the given distance you would be able to determine the cars traveling speed. I would think that there would be a difference in the calc'd speed and what the odometer showed. Testing from a cherry picker or something high up in the air where a single person would start and stop the time would be my approach. Number two, I would use a police gun directly infront of the vehicle. You would want to minimize the cosine factor(eg. cos 0 = 1). As the cos angle becomes larger the slower your speed will appear slower on radar(eg cos 30 = 0.15). So if carSpeed = 65mph and the radar gun was directly infront of the vehicle you would expect the radarSpeed = 65mph. Know if the radar gun was not infront and offset say to the left of center for some distance, you would introduce the cosine factor. So know you have Cos(30) = .15 x 65 = 9.75. So the radar gun will show 9.75 mph slower than the actual speed, radarSpeed = 55.25. Speedos and calc's based on rpm values are rough estimates in my opinion.

Quick Reply: mugen ecu chip