Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

My A/C is out. I think it is Clutch and Coil???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Default My A/C is out. I think it is Clutch and Coil???

Hello,

My first post. I have a 04 Honda Acoord EX 4dr 4cyl. My A/C compressor intermediately stops running. It usually works right when i start the car but shortly after will stop engaging. I thought maybe it was the relay so I replaced that but still no dice, same thing.

My guess is that the clutch and coil is now the problem, maybe the coil has lost its charge. What do you guys think?

If so, is there an easier fix than the expected probably $700 to fix this.... can I hit it with a hammer like a starter.. he he

Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hitting it can confirm a possible problem. When compressor is not working as it should, rap the front of the compressor clutch plate sharply w/ a hefty stick (be careful!). If it closes and begins to run, you have confirmed that clutch gap is too large.

How to fix? It may be possible to access the clutch plate in place, remove clutch plate (single 6mm bolt), and remove a shim from behind the clutch plate.

To do this you will have to remove the alternator to access the clutch plate. It may be helpful to remove the cooling fan in front of the compressor, but manual does not indicate this is necessary.

Once compressor is accessible remove mounting bolts and slide the compressor towards center of car. Hopefully the hose will allow enough movement to access the clutch plate. I have done this on 94 Accord which has similar arrangement on opposite end of motor.

I would recommend purchasing a shop manual for your vehicle. automanualsource.com has a download manual for $21.99 that is OEM and easy to use.

good luck