Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Need To Save Gas, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
addicted2blue
Unregistered
Default Need To Save Gas, help?

hey all, im new here and my first post, i recently bought a 94 accord 4 cycl automatic, it is complete stock and the only thing im interested in is just to save gas, so far all ive done is put in a drop in k&N air filter and changed the oil to mobil1, 90% of everything on the motor is brand new, water pump, alternator, power steerin, intake manifold, injecters etc. what all can i do to get the most MPG out of it? has factory new tires also w/ 181K miles on the motor.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Need To Save Gas, help?

Make sure the tires are at the correct pressure and check often. I run mine 3 psi above but more for handling than mileage. You might want to google hypermiling techniques and see what shows up.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 PM

the biggest thing is going to be how you drive... more than anything you can do your driving style will make the most drastic changes... shift at low rpm's, avoid full throttle, run some fuel injector cleaner through your car (once or twice for starters then run a bottle through with every oil change) make sure your do your regular maintenence, spark plugs, wires, cap rotor etc...

Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

keep your foot out of the gas... the way you drive has the most effect on how your fuel economy goes. Also you need to keep the engine in top shape ( it looks like you have)

Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 PM

I know it's summer, but you could always drive with the a/c off. That used to help me a lot.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 PM

well, you could only drive the car on even days of the week...... ... JUST KIDDING ..

Welcome to HAF....

... the other members gave you some good advices,, also make sure car is properly tuned..

Old 06-24-2006, 12:21 AM
addicted2blue
Unregistered

i was really wonderin about pulleys and other parts that could be added on that may improve gas, with this car i have a pretty light foot, only goes to 3k to change gears, compared to how i drive my dakota, i have a friend from a local honda dealership thats gonna adjust my valves as they have a slight rattle, after changin the oil today it felt alot better in normal drivin. thanx for all the advice. would lighter weight rims help?

Old 06-24-2006, 12:41 AM

Lightweight rims will help, but you'll need to make sure that they are strong rims and aren't going to crack or pose a dangerous situation for you. In other words, you would need to spend a good bit of money on them and it would be a long time before you made that money back on saved gas (although if prices keep going up it could be sooner). But it would help with MPG.

I don't think under drive pulleys would do a whole lot. They may help slightly, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

Whatever you do, stay away from those turbonator and tornado devices. They aren't cheap and they don't work.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 AM
addicted2blue
Unregistered

how about the electric turbos?

Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 AM

no such thing as an electric turbo, an electric supercharger yes, but those often prove more restrictive then benifical