Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New Tranny & OBX Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: New Tranny & OBX Headers

Megan products are priced very close to OBX.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Its been 2 days I been driving very slow and smooth, No more of the wild driving the headers made a very big diffrence, I cant be more happy my car can breath , and it sounds awsome, it was definitely missing all these years just greddy's. Last night i ordered some NGK pzfr5f-11 spark plugs as recommended by one of the admins DesertHonda, so im sure that will help, I do have 100,000 K miles its about time I called Honda dealership and from what he told me NGK comes stock on honda? im not sure if its true, Over all any one that has exhaust I HIGHLEY recommend getting headers I missed out for 4 years, untill I finally joined this fourm thanx guys. Seeds you are right, and 250 is a nice price for SS obx headers for a V6 :O) thanx for all the help guys I tryed to post a vidoe didnt work, i will try again today, I got the PICS UP CLICK on the link!!!!!!!!!! and BlkCurrantKordim sorry, lets just put the bs aside

Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Seeds
Date 3/6/2008 8:52:02 AM

I dont know about this all headers work the same bit... actually I am positive that is wrong... maybe for this guys purposes since he is worried about the sound instead of the tq and hp gains... but runner length, collector design, and collector placement... not to mention tube diameter are all very important. For the price difference and the quality OBX is deffinitely the way to go for his purposes, DC headers are a joke and way over priced, Megan headers are super expensive, but the only decently designed headers for the 6 cyl.

By the way, taking off resonators and catalytic converters is a horrable idea if you dont have a custom ENGINEERED exhaust system, your car needs some backpressure to operate at its fullest potential, commonly marketed exhaust systems and headers take the resonator and cat into account and there removal deffeats the entire design of the system. Such lemming mentalities of louder is better is what lent to import enthusiasts being called ricers. Not to rain on anybodys parade or anything, but its true.

-Seeds

That is complete B*******..and removing your cat and resonator is not just for the noise it actually just sends a straight shot through..the only downside to that is that people might see smoke coming out of your exhaust and mistake it for something being wrong with your engine.so what in south beach diet are you talking about?and i never said removing the cat changes your noise or performance all i said is in miami nobody keeps cataltytic convertor.so go check your sources and FYI all headers perform the same,theres no difference,i bet if i gave you two accords with the same specs and engine and colorone of em had OBX and the other didn't you wouldnt be able to identify the accord with the OBX.i bet my pink slip on that one.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM

well now, how very interesting...

Pink slip accepted... pop the hood genius... you might want to specifie how I am supposed to tell next time... I hope you were not expecting to be able to tell just by driving it, the @$$ dyno lies everytime... dyno jets dont.

Megan Racing has come way way way down since I looked at there stuff last, those headers used to cost upwards of 8-900, I guess they are a more standard import to the states now... I wish mugen headers would come down like that.

A header is a header huh...

thermodynamics 101:

p = delta m / delta V

that is pressure = mass / volume

volume of a gas expands and contracts with temperature linearly

fluid dynamics 101:

you cant push volume x into volume y when y is smaller than x with out constant increasing pressure... thats a complicated law to understand I know... []

headers 101:

Gas comes out of cylinder (we will call it columb A) its at its hotest temperature... it sits there till more gas is pushed out (we will call this columb B)... while columb A is sitting there it is cooling some... when it gets to the collector it must be cooled sufficiently for its volume to have been reduced to where both runners or all four as it maybe, will fit the volume of the single pipe after the collector or else you have gases that will not exit the cylinder because the ones in front of it are trying to push through a space that is to small and there is not enough pressure coming out of the cylinder to force them to do so. then you have part of your volume in your cylinder filled with depleated fuel... does that sound good to you?

Now very obviously there is a certain distance that corelates to the necessary cooling of the gases, so explain to me how each company has a different runner length and cools the gases the same when the metals they are made out of are the same. lets also look at the volume aspect... if there is to much volume in the runner you dont have the same amount of pressure to push columb A through the collector... so how are all headers the same again? Because I know the physics isnt whats changing!

lets move onto removing a cat. We still have all of this moving of gasses down the line buisness going on, and the rest of the piping has been designed to deal with this amount of gas moving at this certain rate and cooling as it goes... we get to the cat, there is a huge pressure drop, thats ok, everything was designed to deal with it... you remove it... oh wait, the gases are moving through that area at the wrong rate now... oops that backs up into the cylinders because theres to much pressure in the front of the coloumb... same thing with the resenator...

where your misconception is coming from is full out race systems, many of which are designed by burns stainless do not have a cat or resonator on them... the runners, collectors, and tube diameters are all designed to work without them, and they are much more efficient than systems designed to work with them... but they were designed for that, the parts you are putting on your car are designed to work with the resenator and cat in place.

If you are really interested in the details of why and how this stuff works and is done pick up the book Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems by Philip H. Smith (FIMechE MSAE) and John C. Morrison (BSe PhD MIMechE)

Those things behind there names are highly destinguished Mechanical Engineering Certifications for lack of better term.

So go back and check YOUR sources!!!

OH... did I mention that I am an engineer?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM

LOL, damn SEEDS just just put it down man, props

Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 PM

im glad we have you on our team seeds :O)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

LOL
Megan products have never cost that much.
You cant tell people that @ one time Megan cost more than Comtech and DC Sports!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 AM

ok mr.engineer here are two links....the first one is the OBX and the second isa differentname brand and a little cheaper...now read both of there descriptions and you tell me the difference besides the price of course because both of these headers are made of the same material(T-304),same design, and same 1.5 tubular piping...so now what you going to tell me now?that there not the same even though there clearly made EXACTLY the same...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

and second you mean to tell me you don't think that removing your cataltyic convertor gives you no gain?not a lot of gain but at least a little more torque response

Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

how many miles on your tranny before you had to get it rebuild?
just curious my dad got a 98 v6 it got 200k on them now, transmission is clunky but still runs pretty good.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM

LOL
Megan products have never cost that much.
You cant tell people that @ one time Megan cost more than Comtech and DC Sports!!!!!!!
I swollow my words, sorry, yes, you are right, Comptech was what I was thinking of, sorry, and good call... were the only properly designed headers for the v6.

ok mr.engineer here are two links....the first one is the OBX and the second isa differentname brand and a little cheaper...now read both of there descriptions and you tell me the difference besides the price of course because both of these headers are made of the same material(T-304),same design, and same 1.5 tubular piping...so now what you going to tell me now?that there not the same even though there clearly made EXACTLY the same...
seriously man, drop it, your wrong, first of all, dont believe what someone who is trying to sell you something says. secondly, you tell that the runner lengths on those two are different just from the pictures, one has 2 and 5 bowed out from the other four, and the other has almost all equal lengths. Them both being made out of T-304 just proves my point, both of those metals have the same specific heat, there not going to disipate heat any differently unless there is more or less surface area... which we established that they have different surface areas by saying the lengths of the runners are different... blah blah blah. Thirdly... ebay, seriously... thats like trusting a used car salesman, or trusting information off of wikipedia.

and second you mean to tell me you don't think that removing your cataltyic convertor gives you no gain?not a lot of gain but at least a little more torque response
your baseline may be slightly higher, but that is only because the system will pressurization more and more as you lay into the throttle and that pressure will start working against you, and when I say slightly, maybe 1 ft/lb higher, but the curve is going to be flattened there after, and since what you really want is more area under the curve you are giving up alot for a super minimal gain somewhere it does not even matter.
Some of the slowest cars can be some of the funnest cars to drive, if power is what you are after, you can not depend on the seat of your pants, or what other people do, you have to use science and dynos.

Quick Reply: New Tranny & OBX Headers