Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

NO ENGINE!!! WHERE TO START?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:44 AM
sire smerph
Unregistered
Default NO ENGINE!!! WHERE TO START?!?!

well i have a 92 accord as i stated in the newb section. a friend of mine told me not to go with a h series engine to stay with the f series. why i don't know. what i do know is that since im kinda starting from fresh with no engine and all, i've been looking into a vtec engine at least. a lil more power from the research that i've been doing for the past few months. just got the car a few days ago, but been paying the guy lil by lil. right now since i don't have an engine, what i wanna do is rebuild the tranny and strip the engine bay to bare. then once that is done i can take it to a paint shop and have them paint the engine compartment the color that my wife wants, prolly like a silver or dolphin grey type of thing. so engine wise....what would be a good starting point. no super or turbo charging for me. don't wanna be having to worry bout the car breaking down on me b4 my next oil change. wanna keep it n/a and just beef it up some for that extra lil kick. my wifes uncle is a manager at o'rieleys auto parts so i know i can get replacement parts cheap with his discount. back to the engine though what you guys think and suggest.

can we post pics here??

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Default RE: NO ENGINE!!! WHERE TO START?!?!

I guess I need to more about what you mean by a little kick AND how much time and money do you want to invest. No holds barred, do the H22, it will be some serious work but having around 200 ponies under foot is nice. Smaller dohc vtecs can still provide power but for the accords size etc. I would go big. Not an easy swap in your year car though. One last thing, have you ever said, "I shoulda... Why didn't I..." Empty engine bay, insert power.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM

I'll have to 2nd the h22. for NA power, the h is the motor for you.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
sire smerph
Unregistered

well as far as time goes im not in a big big hurry. as of right now like i said i gotta clean out the engine compartment, redo the tranny get the engine bay painted then GET the motor. once i have the motor it's gonna be rebuilt. are part easy to find at a local parts store for a h22. if i go to the junk/scrap yard, what engine out of what car would i be looking for? as far as the money thing goes...well the car is gonna be done all over. once the engine bay is cleaned and painted, and the tranny and engine are rebuilt, then it's on to exhaust, suspension, new head lights, hids, rims, tires well you get the pic.

here is my malibu that i had some time ago. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/622374

and this was my taurus that i just let go a few months ago. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1652242

that's just an idea of where ive been and what direection ill be going.

last night i took off the bumper, headlights, corner lights, hood, factory intake piping, neg. and positive batt. cables, all the alarm wiring, wipers, and a crap load more of stuff. just things that i know im gonna replace in the near future.

but back to the h22 thing. can i get parts locally, are they easy to find? ect. ect.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM

h22 swaps are done VERY frequently so parts are a plenty, make sure before you dump money into the tranny that it will work on whatever engine you decide on, as was stated earlier a stock h22 is going to give you around 200 hp which should haul you around quite nicely, I've got a 94 accord with the f23 SOHC V-tec engine and that's a good little motor but I think it's only about 145 HP and lends much better to turbo'd applications than N/A the DOHC V-Tec's are great motors to build for N/A applications and the H22 is going to most commonly be found in a prelude, I'd start with trying to locate motor mount kits for an h22 application in your 92 accord and wiring harnesses otherwise you're getting into a fair amount of fabrication. So answer these two questions and I think someone here can line you out with the best setup for your needs.

How much power do you want?
Do you have a price range you want to stay in?