Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil Change interval-am I wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Oil Change interval-am I wrong?

when working as a corporate mechanic...i got free oil, so i changed my oil and filter every thousand miles...on my drag car..i change the oil every week...along with the plugs and filters...now that im not a corporate mechanic, i change my oil in my street cars RELIGIOUSLY every 3k, no more..my dad is a mechanic, and always has been, and i wont let my oil get dirty...

Old 04-10-2005, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

when working as a corporate mechanic...i got free oil, so i changed my oil and filter every thousand miles...on my drag car..i change the oil every week...along with the plugs and filters...now that im not a corporate mechanic, i change my oil in my street cars RELIGIOUSLY every 3k, no more..my dad is a mechanic, and always has been, and i wont let my oil get dirty...
I also use mobil 1 but even with their new synthetic brand that is designed to go 15000 I change my oil by my own intervals between 7000 ~ 8000 miles simply because oil filter contaminates after 10,000. So it's not adviced to run it 15K just yet.

Even if you change your oil every 3000 mile you don't make it better than if you change it every 5000 - 10,000 miles - unless your gaskets and/or seals are screwed.

The fact: mobil 1 oil tested in the lab after 5000 miles continuous run - is exactly the same as brand new - means the cooling properties of the oil are exactly the same.

So it's not the question if the oil gets dirty - thats why you have oil filter, it's the ability of oil to do its purpose.

And you go ahead and change it RELIGIOUSLY every 3000 like your old dude says and waste your money- thats how the technology was those days - now its different.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Considering you live in a warm weather state and that you drive 30 min each time - 5000 btwn changes may be for you and I don't disagree with the other high milage posters. It is apparent they do not plan to keep their vehicles any length of time.

As for those who DO NOT change oil the first two times from new - one only has to hold the oil drain container up to a bright light and/or cut open the filter. You would not believe the silvery specks of alum/steel suspended, (or if you let it sit for a few days and check the bottom of the container). Even in a $300 mower they instruct an oil change after the first two hours to drain assembly/componet wear contamination.

As for dirty oil not being a problem - It is the whole problem. That is why it need to be changed. The filter can filter out the particles and only SOME of the contamination. After all - oil does not wear out - it just gets dirty and sometimes, in some conditions, it must be changed at less than 1000 mi.

Believe it or not.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:45 PM

It is apparent they do not plan to keep their vehicles any length of time.

I will keep mine for 10 years with oil & filter changes from 7-10K using Mobil 1, I've done it before and I'll do it again!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:55 PM

i totally agree

i plan on keeping my car forever

Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Unregistered

Made the change to Mobil 1 5W20 today. My Accord has 25,000 miles on it. So I should change the oil/filter after 5000 miles then I can go to 10,000 miles thereafter?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 PM

depends on your driving - if you drive long miles every day - 10K is not a problem otherwise 7-8 thousands not a prob - K&N oil filter - and you're allset.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 AM

This is seriously a great thread... i belive in going about 5000- 6000 miles on my car which is a 94 with 160xxx miles on it but it worked for me soo far and even back when i had the old vovlo with 350,000 ( rip) but like someone said before that 3000 mile oil change is a way for dealers and jiffy lube to make alot of cash

Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Bottom line:

Most people do not know s*** from shineola about oil.

Many factors enter into the equation.

Short trip driving, (less than 10 miles), bad - worse in cold climate.

Warm climate - good.

Distance driving where engine is at normal operating temperature for long periods - best.

Idling in warm/hot weather with A.C. on - very bad.

Cold engine temperature - (under 190) - bad.

The 3000 recommendation is a general rule that takes into consideration a mulitude of driving situations. Considering oil is the life blood of an engine, those that have no idea what is adequate, and care about their vehicles, need to follow a reasonable recommendation.

Being a six year State Patrol Metro Area Motorist Assist volunteer, we help motorists experiencing engine problems due to inadequate engine lubrication maintenance, (much more than one would think). Occasionally a motorist will experience a locked engine due to insufficient engine oil or oil that is so badly contaminated that there are no lubricating properties present. Some are unaware of what is proper, some do not pay attention, some don't have the money and some just do not care.

Believe it or not.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:38 AM
jayallen40
Unregistered

Oil changes are cheap insurance for the life of your engine. Go with the 3k oil change

Quick Reply: Oil Change interval-am I wrong?