Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil Change interval-am I wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Default RE: Oil Change interval-am I wrong?

ORIGINAL: diftw

Made the change to Mobil 1 5W20 today. My Accord has 25,000 miles on it. So I should change the oil/filter after 5000 miles then I can go to 10,000 miles thereafter?

Thanks.

A general rule when switching over to synthetic is to go 5K the first round then change oil and filter. After that you should be clear to go farther. I choose to go 7500-8000 between changes but only several used oil analysis can truly tell you when to change for sure.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 PM

I have a 2005 Accord EX v-6 with 35K miles on it. I am thinking about going to synthetic M1 5W20. I noticed most of you discuss the 2.4L engine in the accords. My questions is if I switch to M1 and OEM Honda Filter can I go at least 7500 miles without any worries? I mean, I will do what RTexasF recommends that first time switch at 5k then to higher i read somwhere else because you have to get the old dino oil out first. Any thoughts?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 PM

I have a 2005 Accord EX v-6 with 35K miles on it. I am thinking about going to synthetic M1 5W20. I noticed most of you discuss the 2.4L engine in the accords. My questions is if I switch to M1 and OEM Honda Filter can I go at least 7500 miles without any worries? I mean, I will do what RTexasF recommends that first time switch at 5k then to higher i read somwhere else because you have to get the old dino oil out first. Any thoughts?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Some of the newer Hondas are takeing all the guesswork out of it. The maintenence minder system calculates when oil changes and other miantenance items need to be done based on driving conditions.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:49 AM

The reason I recommend 5K with the first use of any synthetic is because the new oil is slightly diluted with some of the dino still left in the engine. Actually the recommendation is not mine but that of many more knowledgeable members than I on Bobistheoilguy. It made sense to me so I put it into practice on both of our cars at the first change to full synthetic. Certainly others' opinions will differ.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:23 AM

yeah, for the way i drive 3k....... let it go 6000 once with castrol gtx 5w30........ yeah........ never doing that again........ ever......

Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM

I change my oil every 5-6K in my '98 it is mostly highway driving. in my '94 it is every 4K

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM

Al yeah def, for the way i drive 3k is a must plus i use castrol gtx high vescoity crap, so i dont really trust it to go beyond 3k. Plus i want ,my baby to be the 1st car in my family to reach 350k.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Hello all.. glad to see we have some healthy debate on a subject i consider near an dear to my heart.... OIL CHanges. Well Up until recently we as americans were driving alot of miles because the price of gas was relatively low. Today we drive considerably less. To answer weather or not the dealer is right or just money grubing. Its like this. If you as a driver drive alot of long trips then stick to the 5k or 10 k depending on the temp extremes (and bumper to bumper trafic). If you do alot of short trips...which translate into alot of heat cycles the oil sees, then my suggestion is every 3k. (bumper to bumper trafic too). If the car sits around alot then change the oil every six months. Honestly, the car lasts longer and gets better gas milage with fresh or clean oil. Oil is like blood it picks up all that carbon and other stuff that at some point it reaches a saturation point. cant take more and breaks down. thats when u really care about it...trying to tell where that point is. Wheather alot of miles or not skipping on 10 to 15 dollars for something taht is so good for your pocket book is not logical to me. gas milage is prob one of the most important variables we deal with because gas is soooo costly today....so for all that are dime smart and dollar silly .. consider this

Old 09-17-2006, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: jayallen40

Oil changes are cheap insurance for the life of your engine. Go with the 3k oil change

back in the days when you had cast iron blocks and carburated engines, 3K was the requirement as the metal of the engine and fuel wash down were big problems

Now cars engines are usually made from aluminum and now that cars are fuel injected, oil tends to live a lot longer than it did before. And FYI oil DOES wear out due to heat caused by friction and combustion process.

I change my oil every 5K or so and have done so for years with no ill effect Honda has recommened 7.2K oil changes for all of their cars since at least 1994 and now they are at 10K

Quick Reply: Oil Change interval-am I wrong?