Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil changing and factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Default Oil changing and factory warranty

Hi all.

I have never been one to tolerate dealers and their inflated labor charges but I am concerned that if I don't have a dealer perform the oil changes, this may void my warranty. I have read that this is not the case. I also have read that if I use the correct viscosity and a factory oil filter anyone can do the oil change.

Can someone confirm these questions? If I can go anywhere, can someone recommend a vendor in the southern New Jersey area who is well respected by many?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Biffy44
Hi all.

I have never been one to tolerate dealers and their inflated labor charges but I am concerned that if I don't have a dealer perform the oil changes, this may void my warranty. I have read that this is not the case. I also have read that if I use the correct viscosity and a factory oil filter anyone can do the oil change.

Can someone confirm these questions? If I can go anywhere, can someone recommend a vendor in the southern New Jersey area who is well respected by many?

Thanks!
You can go anywhere and use any OEM spec oil filter. If your car calls for 5W-20 oil, your two options are 5W-20 and (better yet) 0W-20. The only requirement is that you save your receipts.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I bet the 2015 owners manual calls for 0w-20 oil... Also it's probably printed on the oil-fill-cap on the valve cover.

Brand-names for oil is like asking about politics or religion... You can search for stuff here or in the General-Tech section. You will probably find that all 0w-20 oil will be some kind of synthetic.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I bet the 2015 owners manual calls for 0w-20 oil... Also it's probably printed on the oil-fill-cap on the valve cover.

Brand-names for oil is like asking about politics or religion... You can search for stuff here or in the General-Tech section. You will probably find that all 0w-20 oil will be some kind of synthetic.
Yes, Jim... the 2015 calls for 0W-20 Detergent with an API certification. I was told by the dealership that the oil in the crankcase (from Honda) is a synthetic.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:18 AM

I am pretty sure that all of the "jiffy lube" type service sites carry this grade of oil but do they carry the "OEM spec filter" that shipo recommended in his post?

Does anyone have recommendations on where to go or not go? Should I purchase my own "OEM spec filters" online and if so does anyone have a recommendation on that?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I would be highly surprised if Jiffy Boob didn't carry an OEM spec filter for virtually all Hondas; that said, I wouldn't trust that company to change the oil in my lawnmower much less any of my cars.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I would be highly surprised if Jiffy Boob didn't carry an OEM spec filter for virtually all Hondas; that said, I wouldn't trust that company to change the oil in my lawnmower much less any of my cars.
So is Honda service all you will use?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 PM

My issue with 'jiffy' type facilities is that their oil is usually stored in bulk and unless we blindly trust their word there is no true way of knowing that the oil is up to specs for our car.

Especially with a new car (such as your 2015) it is suggested that you either purchase the oil and filter yourself (keeping the receipts) and witness the service being done or have the service completed at a Honda dealership.

Something else to keep in mind is that Honda recommends replacing the drain plug seal when changing the oil

Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

I do my own oil changes; that way I know the right stuff is in the engine. As for the changing of the crush washer on the drain plug, I avoid that situation by using an oil extractor which pulls the oil out via the dipstick; haven't pulled a drain plug since 1999.

If it comes to pass I'm unable to perform my own oil changes, I will use a small independent local shop to do the actual work (I will still buy the oil and filter).

Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quickie oil change places are like ebay. It's hundreds of different individual businesses. You might find one that's OK. But if they consistently take the time to be properly careful, you wonder how they make enough money to survive?

And I change my own oil so I can't really help you find a place.

Quick Reply: Oil changing and factory warranty