Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil changing and factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I do my own oil changes; that way I know the right stuff is in the engine. As for the changing of the crush washer on the drain plug, I avoid that situation by using an oil extractor which pulls the oil out via the dipstick; haven't pulled a drain plug since 1999.

If it comes to pass I'm unable to perform my own oil changes, I will use a small independent local shop to do the actual work (I will still buy the oil and filter).
Interesting..

By using the pump method, isn't there the possibility of a sludge build-up in the bottom of the oil pan?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Prospector
Interesting..

By using the pump method, isn't there the possibility of a sludge build-up in the bottom of the oil pan?
Quite the contrary; the first time I used it on one of our cars which had, to that point, had conventional oil changes via the drain plug, I could not believe how much sediment was sucked out from the bottom of the pan.

That said, who cares about sludge/sediment in the bottom of the pan? I ask because sediment in the bottom of the pan is pretty much inert; it'll stay there until you junk the car (or roll it into a ditch, which ever comes first).

Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Quite the contrary; the first time I used it on one of our cars which had, to that point, had conventional oil changes via the drain plug, I could not believe how much sediment was sucked out from the bottom of the pan.

That said, who cares about sludge/sediment in the bottom of the pan? I ask because sediment in the bottom of the pan is pretty much inert; it'll stay there until you junk the car (or roll it into a ditch, which ever comes first).
Ok.... so, where could someone get one of the pumps you've described?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Ok.... so, where could someone get one of the pumps you've described?
I've had a Pela 650 from www[dot]pelaproducts[dot]com for 16 years now; there are any number of places these can be bought, Amazon included.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM

I've had a Pela 650 from www[dot]pelaproducts[dot]com for 16 years now; there are any number of places these can be bought, Amazon included.
Thanks, Shipo

Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM

If my dealer had its way, I'd have to breath Honda air, drink Honda water, and eat Honda food, otherwise the warranty would be voided

If there is a dispute as whether the warranty should be honored, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer that the owner neglected to reasonably maintain the car. There is nothing saying that the car has to be serviced at a dealer.

For the last 35 years, I maintain my own cars, never had any problem with warranty.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Yes, Jim... the 2015 calls for 0W-20 Detergent with an API certification. I was told by the dealership that the oil in the crankcase (from Honda) is a synthetic.
FYI- 0w20 is only made in synthetic.
OP they cannot force you to have service done at dealer, research local shops and ask around.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM

You just can't get good service anymore is the general undertone I am hearing. I can do, and I have done my own oil changes, I just find disposing such a hassle and a serious potential mess!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Biffy44
You just can't get good service anymore is the general undertone I am hearing. I can do, and I have done my own oil changes, I just find disposing such a hassle and a serious potential mess!

Thanks for the thoughts!
Our town has a bin for recycling automotive fluids. That and most of the shops I buy my oil from take used oil for recycling.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 PM

It is a pain to dispose of, but any place that sells oil must also take it back as waste.

Quick Reply: Oil changing and factory warranty