Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Oil changing and factory warranty (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/oil-changing-factory-warranty-62112/)

Prospector 08-26-2015 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 362532)
I do my own oil changes; that way I know the right stuff is in the engine. As for the changing of the crush washer on the drain plug, I avoid that situation by using an oil extractor which pulls the oil out via the dipstick; haven't pulled a drain plug since 1999.

If it comes to pass I'm unable to perform my own oil changes, I will use a small independent local shop to do the actual work (I will still buy the oil and filter).

Interesting..

By using the pump method, isn't there the possibility of a sludge build-up in the bottom of the oil pan?

shipo 08-27-2015 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Prospector (Post 362536)
Interesting..

By using the pump method, isn't there the possibility of a sludge build-up in the bottom of the oil pan?

Quite the contrary; the first time I used it on one of our cars which had, to that point, had conventional oil changes via the drain plug, I could not believe how much sediment was sucked out from the bottom of the pan.

That said, who cares about sludge/sediment in the bottom of the pan? I ask because sediment in the bottom of the pan is pretty much inert; it'll stay there until you junk the car (or roll it into a ditch, which ever comes first). :)

Prospector 08-27-2015 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 362553)
Quite the contrary; the first time I used it on one of our cars which had, to that point, had conventional oil changes via the drain plug, I could not believe how much sediment was sucked out from the bottom of the pan.

That said, who cares about sludge/sediment in the bottom of the pan? I ask because sediment in the bottom of the pan is pretty much inert; it'll stay there until you junk the car (or roll it into a ditch, which ever comes first). :)

Ok.... so, where could someone get one of the pumps you've described?

shipo 08-27-2015 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prospector (Post 362563)
Ok.... so, where could someone get one of the pumps you've described?

I've had a Pela 650 from www[dot]pelaproducts[dot]com for 16 years now; there are any number of places these can be bought, Amazon included. :)

Prospector 08-27-2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 362567)
I've had a Pela 650 from www[dot]pelaproducts[dot]com for 16 years now; there are any number of places these can be bought, Amazon included. :)

Thanks, Shipo

touring 08-28-2015 09:53 AM

If my dealer had its way, I'd have to breath Honda air, drink Honda water, and eat Honda food, otherwise the warranty would be voided :p

If there is a dispute as whether the warranty should be honored, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer that the owner neglected to reasonably maintain the car. There is nothing saying that the car has to be serviced at a dealer.

For the last 35 years, I maintain my own cars, never had any problem with warranty.

travrach 08-28-2015 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prospector (Post 362515)
Yes, Jim... the 2015 calls for 0W-20 Detergent with an API certification. I was told by the dealership that the oil in the crankcase (from Honda) is a synthetic.

FYI- 0w20 is only made in synthetic.
OP they cannot force you to have service done at dealer, research local shops and ask around.

Biffy44 08-29-2015 08:25 AM

You just can't get good service anymore is the general undertone I am hearing. I can do, and I have done my own oil changes, I just find disposing such a hassle and a serious potential mess!

Thanks for the thoughts!

shipo 08-29-2015 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Biffy44 (Post 362624)
You just can't get good service anymore is the general undertone I am hearing. I can do, and I have done my own oil changes, I just find disposing such a hassle and a serious potential mess!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Our town has a bin for recycling automotive fluids. That and most of the shops I buy my oil from take used oil for recycling.

travrach 08-29-2015 06:08 PM

It is a pain to dispose of, but any place that sells oil must also take it back as waste.