Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Overheating Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM
goudge74
Unregistered
Default Overheating Honda Accord

My '96 Honda Accord is overheating. The passenger side fan does not turn on, but the driver's side does. Does the passenger fan have anything to do with the cooling system? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 08-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Overheating Honda Accord

Both radiator fans have to do with the cooling system. One is AC condensor fan only in name. Both fans pull air thru both the radiator & the AC.

So what circumstances make it overheat? Driving down the road? Idling in traffic? Always? Sometimes? AC turned on or off?

Old 08-25-2007, 02:03 PM
goudge74
Unregistered

Thank you for your reply. It first started sitting in traffic with the ac on and then after that just driving down the street with the ac on. I put water on it at at a gas station and that seemed to help, so I was able to drive home. The next day, I drove around the block with the ac on to test it and the temperature went up. I could hear water boiling, but no steam was coming out. I checked the fuses for the cooling fan, but none were blown? I switched the window relay switch to the cooling relay switch and the passenger side fan still did not come on. I just bought a thermostat and was going to try that. Do you think it is a waste of time?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

is there a leak? you had to add water, you said...thats the first place i would start

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM

i thought he meant like literally poured a bucket of water on the block or radiator....

my guess would be a broken water pump and/or broken fan motor.

this may seem like the last thing you would want to do but try turning the heat all the way up, the fans on full blast, and windows down (cuz god that would get hot otherwise). This will blow air across the engine... cooling it down kind of.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

nanfango .... the heat would be the first thing I'd do. If your engine is hot and the air comes out cool, you either have no coolant, a broken thermostat or a bad pump. This could at least eliminate the possibility of the fan causing the problem.

Also, if you are on the highway and you start to overheat, you can cool the engine down a lot by speeding up about 5-10 mph and cutting the ignition while in gear. The tranny will drive the engine (even an auto) without ignighting the fuel. Remember that you have to put it in neutral to re-start the engine and probably won't have to crank it; just turn to "on". This is a good way to save your engine if you're out in the middle of nowhere, but be careful while driving this way and use your hazard lights!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

nanfango .... the heat would be the first thing I'd do.
Oh you misinterpreted me.. i meant that was the last thing hed want to do cuz its the middle of summer and cranking the heat would be ... well... hot. sauna hot.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM

LOL .... I know (heat), but it's the easiest diagnostics to do ..... With an aluminum block, I'd be more concerned about my engine than personal comfort!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM

i would first fix what you know is no good in this case the rad fan not working,,
chk to see if yu get power at the blue/black wire and ground at the black wire at rad fan plug........if you get both you need a new fan motor
if not, you said all the fuses ( under hood box, fuse # 21, 20 amp ) are ok and you swapped the relay, you might have wiring issues