Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Piggybacks and chips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Default Piggybacks and chips?

I've done a forum search on chips for the accord and hondata seems to be the winner... If you have a stick shift. Do they make chips for autos? I have yet to see one that I would trust. I know the stock ecu is pretty good, especially when the car is only mildly modified but are there options for the slushbox? What are piggy backs, how do they work and are they worth a stinky?

Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Piggybacks and chips?

A good example of a piggyback is Apexi VAFC which is something used to change the signal as its going through VAFC can change the air fuel ratio and the vtec engage point. For the air fuel control you are able to change it at various RPM points but its no where as detailed as chipping and having a completely altered fuel map, but a proper chip needs many hours of Dyno time to find out where youre running too rich or too lean at wide open throttle, 75% 50% 25%, but the best chip is the one you make, sending your ecu off and having a preset chip burn will only give you so much and you have to keep in mind its essentially a generic chip, its not customized exactly to your car, its just customized to your make, model, year. But both chipping and piggybacks wont help that much on a completely stock car (unless you have a 98 to 02 v6)

If you want to learn the most possible about chipping
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/WebHome

and they have found out how to chip obd2 but thats not cheap nor is it easy

Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info marbro.
From what you said it sounds like the piggy back is not a real exact science, more or less just playing with the set fuel maps etc.
Sounds a little dangerous to me. I don't have the v6, the car is 95 ex, so I think the last thing I'll do is probably the chip. What you said makes total sense about if the car isn't built up you're not going to get too far.
Thanks for the info and that site is full of juicy tid bits.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can go to most placing saying oh yeah AFC's are the best thing in the world! even though its a temporary fix, but on top of that its very limited, and if you have mods it will only help you up to a certain point, then you have to deal with the fact that its not a perfect control solution

then chipping/ a complete engine managment system comes into play, which still requires tweaking for fit your conditions of driving and climate. Chipping is a better thing and you will learn a lot more about fuel mapping if you do it yourself, and its not that expensive in the long run, and an AFmeter and wideband o2 sensor then you can do a lot of the tuning yourself.

As a side note its only dangerous if you change things way too much ie lean it out too much or make it too rich, some piggy backs are better then others, but a full EMS is better in general.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info!! I am going to get all the basic mods done first and then go from there. From what you said its best to maximize what you've got and then work the fine tuning after.
Appreciate it.