Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rattle/Knock 99DX VTec 4clyinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rattle/Knock 99DX VTec 4clyinder

I have had my 99 DX Accord to two different auto shops and at both places I was told my engine sounds like a diesel. I don't think it sounds as bad as diesel. I burn regular gas in it as I have with all my vehicles. Sounds to me like a knock and probely on one or two cylinders. Are these engines noted for having a diesel sound to them? I don't know the milage as I think it has had a replacement installed. I had a guy do some work on the A frame and he said there was marker writing on the engine block. I have searched this site for the answer but I can not find my around it very well. If this question is addressed already please point me in the right direction. Thanks. The engine works fine and does not seem to burn oil and is not hard on gas.
Please note it has "VTEC honda motors' on the valve cover and I am sure it is a four cylinder.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure the 99 DX came with a non-VTEC engine. So the engine may have been swapped. Look down on the engine block, close to the split line between engine & tranny, for a flat machined surface with the serial # stamped. First line is the engine type, something like F23A5 - tell us what that is. We don't need the serial # from the 2nd line.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default F23a1

F23a1

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

I used to have a '98 with F23A1 & it was quiet. So the diesel sound isn't normal. And it's SUPPOSED to take regular gas.

Maybe take a scrap piece of garden hose as a poor-man's stethoscope & pinpoint the location of the sound.

Light clicking under the valve cover? Try adjusting the valve lash.

Under the timing cover? Maybe a timing belt tensioner bearing?

Down low might be rod-knock or something else equally serious, but see what you can tell from listening for the location.

And I wasn't paying attention to notice you're in Canada. DX/LX/EX equipment is all different up there, so I don't really know what engine it was supposed to have.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default DX 99 Accords in Canada

I checked out the owers manual, the DX came with a" Water Cooled 4 Stroke SOHC. The LX and Ex have the SOHC VTEC. So we are sure now the engine has been replaced. I have a DX with a VTEC engine with no idea of the mileage. Could be 500,000.
Are these engines interchangable? Will any 4 cylinder Honda engine fit on the transmission or would both the engine and transmission have to be changed together?
Tried the short hose to listen for the noise. The best I can tell it is high in the engine. I will search out valve adjustment and if it does not seem difficult I will give that a try.
The engine is not hammering like it is about to let go, just a sound that is out of place. Probly won't fix it's self so I will give it a try starting with the valve lash. We plug it in when the weather is cold, so I am babying it a bit. Don't plug in other vehicles.

Thanks for the help Jim. Forecast for Saturday, sunny plus 9C. close to 48F. A heat wave!!! for New Brunswick. Will have to find a shady spot to work on that car.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Adjusting the valve lash is pretty easy, if you've done car maintenance before. Used to be a routine thing on most cars "back in the day".

Valve cover off, & you'll need feeler gauges. You measure the valve clearance when the engine's cold.

The engines are pretty much interchangeable without needing it's "OWN" transmission. I suspect the VTEC & non-VTEC engines have the same tranny. But the enigne would have to be used with it's own ECU to activate the VTEC.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Going to Adjust Valves

Picked up feeler gauges today at Canadian Tire. Did a search on YouTube for valve adjustments Honda Accord. I am surprised at the numbers of hits to show the proceedure. Some better than others. After watching videos for an hour last night I am confident I can do this and do a good job to boot. The challenge is to get the engine cooled down. Might have to wait until next weekend.

ECU,,,,, Electronic Computer Unit ????? Will have to do a search for information on the F23A1 to get the proper gaps for the valves. Hope this makes that thing purr a little smoooother.

Thanks for the guidance.